Atomic Regulator Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering getting an Atomic B2 or Z2. If I go Atomic, I'll get one that is sealed. One of the factors in my consideration is the servicing that will be done on the reg. Does anyone out there have any information regarding the cost of having a sealed Atomic reg serviced?

Thanks

Ron

I just had my B2 serviced for the first time in about 5 years and it was about 40 bucks. If you're looking for something sealed, check out the Atomic M1. I just bought an M1 first stage, and I'm using it as my primary with my B2 second stage. I moved my B2 first stage to my pony.

Check with a LDS where you would buy it.

I know service interval is every 2 years and you don't pay for parts only labor.

Labor around here is $45.

Not paying for Atomic parts is a shop-only policy. YMMV. Atomic Aquatics has never offered free service kits.

Rakkis is correct, Atomic Parts "free" is not an Atomic policy, it would be a local shop policy. Also keep in mind that the sealed units are sealed with Christo Lube ( a more expensive O2 compatible Lubricant) so expect to pay a bit to reseal your 1st stage after service, approx 10-15 for the christo lube alone.

I stand corrected. I should have made it clear that this was my LDS policy only.

If you purchase from them and maintain service on time with them you will never pay for parts.

Rakkis is correct, Atomic Parts "free" is not an Atomic policy, it would be a local shop policy. Also keep in mind that the sealed units are sealed with Christo Lube ( a more expensive O2 compatible Lubricant) so expect to pay a bit to reseal your 1st stage after service, approx 10-15 for the christo lube alone.

The only difference is the addition of the Christolube and a tad bit of extra effort..the service kits are the same.

I decided to get the Atomic B2. The other regs under consideration were the Scubapro MK25/S600, Scubapro MK17/S600 or S555, Oceanic Delta 4, and the Atomic T2.

I eliminated the T2 because of its steep price and the Titanium/Nitrox issue. The Atomic manual states that if compressed air is used with the T2, it must be cleaned prior to using Nitrox. These two issues eliminated the T2 for me. I want a reg that I can use with compressed air or Nitrox and be able to switch between air types.

To help me decide which of the remaining regs I should get, I looked at where they are serviced in the Puget Sound area and in Florida, near my Florida home. I'll move back there in a few years and I'll want to get service for my reg when I go back. The dive shops closest to me in Puget Sound and Florida both sell and service Atomic regs. In Florida, the Oceanic sales and service is 40 miles from my Florida home. The Subapro sales and service is 20 miles. The Atomic sales and service is 10 miles. All of the shops are good and reputable. Advantage Atomic.

Then, I asked myself which of the regs I would prefer to have based on performance only. Again, Atomic was on top. The others were close, except for the MK17/S555. At this point I eliminated the MK17/S555 because I preferred the adjustable second stage.

Finally, my LDS here in Puget Sound was selling the B2 for $579. The MK25/S600 was $598. The MK17/S600 was almost as much. The Atomic B2 DIN wasn't in stock, but they said they would order it for the same price ($579). Sold.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Let's dive!

Ron

Okay, this is coming from a trained atomic tech. If you get an Atomic Aquatics M1, or T2 it will come with the enviro. seal installed. You can also install it later on any atomic regulator. Atomic guaruntes parts for the FIRST TWO years of ownership. Meaning if you have a problem with the reg within two years of you buying it, Atomic will pay for the parts. After that, you pay for all servicing. If you have a environmental seal in your atomic, meaning the 1st stage is packed with christo-lube, you'll have to pay for the lube which isn't cheap. A tube costs the dive shop about $35-40, the shop i work at charges $15 extra for this to be done, which should be more considering you use about 1/3 of the tube to fill the 1st stage.

Back
Top Bottom