Atomic Regulators (incl. SS1)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Opinions on Atomic regulators and comparisons with other brands? What about their "safe second" (connects to LP hose)?

BigTuna:
Opinions on Atomic regulators and comparisons with other brands? What about their "safe second" (connects to LP hose)?

I love my Z1, breathes easy, seems reliable, and most everybody I dive with including the guys at the shop use atomics.

Can't say anything about the ss1 though.

I've used the B2, the T2, and several SS1s. They all breathe great. I'm very happy with them

I love my Atomic B1. The only reg that I like as well is the Apeks. I don't care much for integrated safe second/inflators so I can't comment on that. I've had my Atomic for 8 years and it's always been a great reg. I've used in very cold (ice diving) water and warm water, deep dives and everything in between and have been very happy with it.

I have the Atomic B2 and SS1. They're both great, and I couldn't be happier. However, the way my SS1 is attached to my BCD (a SeaQuest PRO QD+) seems to disable the ability to pull on the inflator hose to activate the shoulder dump. This doesn't particularly bother me - I pretty much always use the button on the SS1 to let out air from my BCD because it gives me very precise control. However, it may not suit your style of diving. My LDS installed the SS1 on the BCD; maybe they did it wrong, although their tech seems quite knowledgeable to me. You should definitely check out how the SS1 will work on your BCD, though.

I would say your LDS installed the SS1 wrong. Sounds like the wire didn't get attached. It works for me and for my wife.

MildlyDamp:
I have the Atomic B2 and SS1. They're both great, and I couldn't be happier. However, the way my SS1 is attached to my BCD (a SeaQuest PRO QD+) seems to disable the ability to pull on the inflator hose to activate the shoulder dump. This doesn't particularly bother me - I pretty much always use the button on the SS1 to let out air from my BCD because it gives me very precise control. However, it may not suit your style of diving. My LDS installed the SS1 on the BCD; maybe they did it wrong, although their tech seems quite knowledgeable to me. You should definitely check out how the SS1 will work on your BCD, though.

I have a B2 and an SS1. Very happy with both. Atomic is the top rated regulator for breathing performance.

BigTuna:

How does the SS1 breathe? I'm wondering because LP regulators have a reputation of being poor breathers, altho they work OK for getting you to the surface. On the other hand, Scuba Mag says it breathes better than some primary second stages. Have you compared it with others for breathing?

Don Janni:
I would say your LDS installed the SS1 wrong. Sounds like the wire didn't get attached. It works for me and for my wife.

Don Jani is exactly right. The SS1 was not installed properly on your BC. Theres no way it should interfere with your shoulder dump. Here's a link to the Scubalab test on the SS1...

Scubalab SS1 Report

I was told that with some SeaQuest BCDs, the end of the corrugated hose comes off at an angle and that the SS1 works better if you get a replacement hose (from SwaQuest) that isn't "cut" that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom