Atomic Regulator's ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a B1/T2.

Mine suffered from some minor IP creep and it breaths wet when inverted. Having talked to many other Atomic owners my experience appears to be atypical.

Even with those minor issues IMO it breaths better than my ATX50/DS4's. Although there isn't much in it and it might be more what I'm used to than "better" per se.

My wife and I both dive M1s. It is one part of my gear I totally forget about underwater...they perform flawlessly, dry, can't overbreathe them and I didn't know that bubbles came out until I rolled onto my back and saw them rising to the surface :D

ERP once bubbled...
I have a B1/T2.

Mine suffered from some minor IP creep and it breaths wet when inverted. Having talked to many other Atomic owners my experience appears to be atypical.

Even with those minor issues IMO it breaths better than my ATX50/DS4's. Although there isn't much in it and it might be more what I'm used to than "better" per se.
Mine breathes dry in all positions, and is silky smooth easy draw. I have had minor IP creep problems about every 80-100 dives. I understand that there is now an improved piston to reduce this problem. It has just been a nuisance rather than a big safety issue, and I've done as many as 20 dives on it after the problem started without it getting very bad (no worse than many, many regs I've seen on boats where the divers erroneously thinks he "needs to detune the 2nd a bit".

I'm looking seriously at the M1 as my 2nd reg purchase.

I've tried the B1/T2 and it did breath very very smoothly. I kick myself for not buying the Atomic. If I could I would gladly trade my Scuba pro Mk25/S600/R380 for an Atomic set up.

This is what I gathered.
There is very occasionally an IP creep problem with T1, B1, Z1 regulators, usually with high pressure tanks. To fix this, Atomic Aquatics came out with a new piston design they call the 'Jet Piston'.

All new Atomic regulators come with the new piston. You can distinguish the ones with the new piston, as they have a different rubber cap on the HP seat cap(?). - This is the end cap opposite the swivel, next to the yoke- The old ones are just a rubber ring surrounding the brass or titanium cap, the new ones almost cover the cap and says Atomic Aquatics on them. They also replace the cap if you do an upgrade on an earlier T1/B1/Z1.

FWIW, I hear that most people don't have the problem with their pre-jet-piston Atomic regulators. I never had the problem with my Atomics for maybe a 100 dives, but I upgraded my piston anyway, (the upgrade kit costs $80) just because I love my Atomics so much. :D

Unless you have a very good reason (contaminated water, ice diving, etc.) to dive a diaphragm regulator, I highly recommend the Atomics. I just love my B1. In fact, I will probably buy another Atomic regulator if I get my girlfriend to dive, or I go doubles.

I have a Z1 reg and octo and absolutley love them. I put the exhaust T from the M1 on my Z1 and it fixed my only complaint of bubble interferance. I have not had any IP creep problems yet but I do not have that many dives on this setup yet. But so far I love it.:D

paulwlee once bubbled...
This is what I gathered.
There is very occasionally an IP creep problem with T1, B1, Z1 regulators, usually with high pressure tanks. To fix this, Atomic Aquatics came out with a new piston design they call the 'Jet Piston'.

All new Atomic regulators come with the new piston. You can distinguish the ones with the new piston, as they have a different rubber cap on the HP seat cap(?). - This is the end cap opposite the swivel, next to the yoke- The old ones are just a rubber ring surrounding the brass or titanium cap, the new ones almost cover the cap and says Atomic Aquatics on them. They also replace the cap if you do an upgrade on an earlier T1/B1/Z1.

FWIW, I hear that most people don't have the problem with their pre-jet-piston Atomic regulators. I never had the problem with my Atomics for maybe a 100 dives, but I upgraded my piston anyway, (the upgrade kit costs $80) just because I love my Atomics so much. :D

Unless you have a very good reason (contaminated water, ice diving, etc.) to dive a diaphragm regulator, I highly recommend the Atomics. I just love my B1. In fact, I will probably buy another Atomic regulator if I get my girlfriend to dive, or I go doubles.

back when I was shopping for regs, I was told that the Z1 can be had in an environmentally sealed version. I think that would be first choice though the M1 is tempting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom