Atomic Z1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchoutheyspit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone dive with the Z1 as their primary reg? Most posts seem to list it as the Octo.

watchoutheyspit:
Does anyone dive with the Z1 as their primary reg? Most posts seem to list it as the Octo.

I dove one in an LDS pool Saturday, they are being sold as primaries there. Claim is the same breathing performance as the more expensive models without some of the premium materials, it also drops back to the 1 year service interval.

Oh, by the way it worked fine in 10 feet of salt water. :)

Pete

I've got one and, while I don't have much experience to compare it to others, it has worked flawlessly. Also, you can retrofit pivots to the primary and second stages (features on the B-2) if you want to.

My wife and I both dive with them and love them. The mechanics are identical to the higher-end atomics without the high cost of the exotic materials. The Z1 does have a 1 year recommended service interval instead of the 2-year on the other atomics, but the lifetime warranty is not dependent on annual service. Performance is identical to the higher-end models, so I don't see any reason to pay for the higher-grade materials. They breathe perfectly from 10fsw to 130fsw+.

If you do get the Z1, have your LDS order the M1 exhaust T for it. It's makes a big difference in bubble visibility. You might also consider getting the swivel off of the B2 as an option as well. I don't have the swivel, but I've been thinking about adding it.

I use Atomic Z1 as my primary regulator and I love it. Very easy to breathe and dry. Last month I went to Maui and I used Aqualung Titans and Beuchat rental regs, Boy I missed my Z1 so much.

The problem is the Atomic Octo is too expensive (at least for me), my LDS didn't even carry them. So I paired it up with Dacor Viper Octo from Larry (ScubaToys), it's pretty low profile and you can use it upside down.

Jenazah,How do you like your Dacor Viper octo? I ordered one today to go with my Z1.

I dive Z1's as both my primary and octo. Great regs. I added the M1 exhaust, swivel hose and dual silicone mouthpiece on my primary, and still have less than $350 in the primary rig. Just an outstanding reg for that kind of money.

Frank

FWIW, my wife and I just bought a pair of Z-1's and the new units now have the same 2-year warranty as the rest of the line.

It's pretty good, the only problem it does not have an pre-dive adjustment switch. Sometimes it's free flowing when you hit the water.

treedawg:
Jenazah,How do you like your Dacor Viper octo? I ordered one today to go with my Z1.

FrankT, how much is the M1 exhaust and the swivel hose ?

FrankT:
I dive Z1's as both my primary and octo. Great regs. I added the M1 exhaust, swivel hose and dual silicone mouthpiece on my primary, and still have less than $350 in the primary rig. Just an outstanding reg for that kind of money.

Frank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom