Atomic Z3 w/Z2 Octo vs Aqualung Leg3end reg package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BCarolan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi - new to diving and just finished my OW last weekend. I have narrowed my first reg to the two listed. Thoughts? Thanks

I recommend Z2, with sealed first stage, with Z2 octopus. No need to pay around $120 extra for the Z3 just because of the proprietary second stage swivel.

Atomics Z3 / Z2 if cost is not a concern. Z2 / Z2 if cost is a concern. You can add a Miflex DS dual swivel hose for less $ if you really want the swivel.
That said I have a recently serviced AL Titan in very good condition 1st, 2nd and octo for sale if interested.

I have been diving Atomics for over 15 years. Good breathing regs that have great reputation for being easily serviced. My primary regs are Atomic Ti regs that are 20 years old that have been fully updated.

Shameless plug I have a B2 yoke first stage with a B2 second and Ti2 second stage for sale.

I think there's a pattern here.
Atomic wins it, hands down.
Add in Aqualung's apparent financial troubles, and it's a slam dunk.

That said, the Legend is an excellent first stage.
The second stage is average, IMO. It collects grit between the adjustment knob and the Venturi lever. Gritty after a few shore dives.

But it's worth getting the Atomic sealed, notwithstanding the naysayers here on Scubaboard, because you don't have to soak your first stage after a dive trip to get the salt and sand out of the inside of the first stage. Second stages get soaked overnight, of course, but that's easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom