atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Atomic posts this message in the FAQ section of their website. I'm a little confused...is this just Atomic regs or is it bad to switch b/n air and nitrox with every reg?

"Can I switch back and forth between air and Nitrox?

No, we do not recommend it. There are different cleaning and purity standards for air and Nitrox. Using standard compressed air with your regulator could introduce dirt or hydrocarbon contaminants into your regulator that could possibly initiate an ignition (fire) in your system. Oxygen enriched mixes can be highly combustible under the right conditions. It is always better to be safe then sorry."

The insurance companies and the scuba industry has everybody running scared, if we had to follow the same standards with our oxy-acetylene torches we'd never get any work done, and that is pure O2 running down a hose right next to acetylene with a flame at the end of it, go figure. Any regulator out of the box is safe with mixtures up to 40%. Titanium regulators are not a good choice for high O2 content mixes. So it depends on your mix, if you are diving above 40% I would reccommend that you use a shop that pumps O2 compatible air which basically is Grade E run throufg a micro filter, this way your cylinders will be clean and in turn so will your regs. By the sounds of it you are looking at 32% or 36% in which case you have nothing to be concerned about, as you continue your education you will find about the scuba industries hysterical approach to "oxygen service" and "oxygen compatible" will in my opinion is a total load of bollocks and is impossible to maintain anyway.

I have an Atomic B1/T2 and I've switched back and forth. I've never had a problem as long as the mix was 40 percent or less. I personally would not go above 40 percent.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom