The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, no more repeated removal of the cover for tuning adjustment. Interestingly, they just have a flat blade screwdriver for the adjustment, so I think @James79 has the better tool. We'll get together to see whether it's possible to 3D print the threaded/o-ringed Scubapro tool.
Rob,

I have a few "due out"s in the works (slowed down with work and some health issues), but I haven't forgotten. If you send me the thread spec for the top cover I'll get the tool sorted and send you and one other (who is waiting patiently on me for a TFX tool) a copy for beta testing. If you already sent me the info then I apologize for loosing it (always a possibility). I also have 2 D400 diaphragm retaining rings to send that way.

Respectfully,

James

Trident's OS-HRKS, Omni-Swivel Hose Repair Kit. It contains both ends.
You can buy just the first stage end for ~75% of the total kit price, direct from Omni-Swivel.
Me cutting a scuba hose- what could possibly go wrong :wink:

I see some listings on web sites for an 84 or 22 version of the Atomic hose with the swivel in stainless or titanium. They all appear to be non US dive shops and I'm wondering if it's old stock of the custom sizes Atomic no longer offers.

Concept ... Instead of a speacial "tool" top cover -

Permanent top cover with a small, sealed, threaded, removable center plug. (Maybe LP port-plug equivalent for ease of replacement if lost assuming sufficient depth.)

The service manual and schematics are complete. Manuals, spare parts and service kits are not being released until a technician completes a Huish service course, so I can't help you there. O-rings look to be a mix of AS568 and metric's, with no British Standard 1.6mm in there, as I once feared. So with a set of easily available o-rings, a reversible seat and some Micromesh to polish the knife edge, you should be able to get 4 years before you have to buy a service kit.
Had a nice chat with the head of Huish training, and it would appear they've made one change in response to a few wet breathers. There was a scattered incidence, because the diaphragm was not pinned tightly enough in place by the retaining ring above the diaphragm cover. So they've thickened the retaining ring a hair. That's the only change.
There's a tool being made (don't have one yet) that mimics the top cover with o-ring seals, but has a small hole in the top for quick adjustment that you plug with a fingertip for tests. So, no more repeated removal of the cover for tuning adjustment. Interestingly, they just have a flat blade screwdriver for the adjustment, so I think @James79 has the better tool. We'll get together to see whether it's possible to 3D print the threaded/o-ringed Scubapro tool.

Any more in-water observations? Or are we still stuck in winter mode?

I was at Blue Grotto today. I let a buddy try my TFX. He also reported noticing slightly wet breathing. He described it as being like inhaling in front of a mister. That perfectly describes what I’ve noticed.

I’m glad to hear they have a fix for that. I will hope to be able to get an updated part to fix mine.

For $2600 you’d think this would have been discovered before public release of the product.

Maybe there was just one lot of thin plastic diaphragm retainers. Or in the plastic press, there was just one of a bunch of rings that wasn't fully machined when they squirt in the resin. If it's 1/10 or 1/100, not too surprising that it was missed on testing.
I'm just glad Huish is responding to the problem, unlike Aqualung's HP seat problem and ACD near-disaster. But yeah - it would be nice to have confidence that things are perfect for that kind of money.

I just ordered 50ea. of the 13 o-rings in the TFX, in Nitrile (50 was the MOQ for most of them). EPDM wasn't available for several of the half-millimeter sizes, and IMO, Buna-N is a better seal anyway, since oxygen isn't a worry at second stage pressure. Three AS568 rings were 2 cents each, but the metric rest were 7 to 19 cents each.
If anyone wants to flip their seat, reuse the hex screw and doesn't break a leg of the Aspirator Housing, I've got a service kit for you for $2, postage included. DM me.

I did dive with the TFX last November so a little late to the party. I did not notice any wet breathing at all and over a weeks worth of standard rec dives all I can say is it breathes effortlessly and is very comfortable. Bubbles never bothered me at all. Maybe a slight edge over my usual atomics but as stated previously no demanding dives. I am a fan.

I went on a Google safari today to see who's talking about the TFX... and it seems no one is. The most recent mention of the TFX on the Atomic Facebook page was 12/7/2023. No new videos. No new reviews. No nothing. What's happening?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom