Atomics DIN conversion -> how hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwlee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone,

I dive with an Atomic B1 regulator that I really like.

Recently I've been thinking about changing my AL80 tanks to HP 100's for the lesser 'real weight' and the added gas, which would necessitate a DIN regulator.
(BTW, I found out about the PST E7 tanks which seem like a good solution for me, but I'd still be curious about the DIN conversion.)

My question is, is the DIN<->yoke conversion for the Atomic regulators something that's relatively simple with the DIN conversion kit and the right tools? I'm not just looking to save some dollars on labor here, but would like to know whether I can change back and forth between the two. From what I hear, the yoke adaptor for DIN regulators can sometimes be annoying, and I'd rather carry around the tools to do a complete change rather than use that, if it's something I can do myself.

I consider myself pretty handy with tools, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Its not hard, all you need is a big wrench (16-18") or that fancy tool from peterbilt to get the yoke nut off, remove the entire assembly, and then insert the DIN adapter, and tighten down with an allen wrench. Process to remove is reversed. Its not something you want to be doing on the deck of a boat, or on the beach just before a dive. Thats why most of us who use DIN, either carry a yoke adapter around just in case, or switch all your tanks over to din to avoid that situation...

Good Luck...

If your buying new tanks, I'm sure the shop will do you a good price on th conversion.

Of course you'd be stuck with either replacing the valves on your old tanks or using an adapter. The conversion isn't difficult, but it isn't something you'd want to be doing regularly.

When I had my B1 converted, the shop provided an extra piece that converted the removed yoke clamp into an adapter, I'm not sure if this is part of the kit or something extra that the store threw in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom