Attaching HP and LP Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainmaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How difficult is it to attach hoses to a regulator? Can anyone do it, or should it be left to those who have been trained in the procedure?

If anyone can do it, what tools are needed? Step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Nothing to it. Nowadays the HP and LP hoses have specific threads and can't be incorrectly attached.

Just remove the plug, screw you hose in and snug it down good and tight with an opened end wrench.

rainmaker:
How difficult is it to attach hoses to a regulator? Can anyone do it, or should it be left to those who have been trained in the procedure?

If anyone can do it, what tools are needed? Step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Due to liability issues, JMHO, personally, I would have a qualified tech do the work.
As with any threaded connection or application, there are certain torque specifications required so as not to exceed the limitations of the materials used.

It may sound like a simple procedure, but how many people actually use a torque wrench when tightening or checking the lug nuts on the wheels of their automobiles?

Dive safe,
Tom

I would love to see an HONEST answer to the percentage of LDS's that actually use a torque wrench when attaching hoses to regulators.

I'd be willing to be a pile of pig sh!t to a pound of doubloons that 80% don't.

The Kraken:
Nothing to it. Nowadays the HP and LP hoses have specific threads and can't be incorrectly attached.

Just remove the plug, screw you hose in and snug it down good and tight with an opened end wrench.

DO NOT DO THIS. You do NOT want to screw in your hoses "good and tight."

That's a good way to mangle your o-ring. It's the O-ring that provides the seal, not the 'tightness' of the connection. You can use a torque wrench to get the right torque, or you can simply tighten them finger tight and use a wrench to give them an additional eighth of a turn or so. But the last thing you want to do is screw them in "good and tight."

Yeah, you're right, I guess "good and tight" is somewhat of a nebulous quantity.
I guess some of us understand what good and tight is when it comes to gaskets and o-rings and some don't.

NOTE:
To all "DIYer's", I do not advocate the use of cheater bars with open end wrenches for attaching hoses.

The age of reason and common sense is long dead . . . alas.

Replacing hoses isn't really that big of a deal. Besides, its good to get comfortable with the basics of your gear so you can feel confident fixing any problems that might occur...or recognizing when you shouldn't be fixing it.

You don't need a torque wrench to tighten the hoses. Just finger tight and then a small turn (maybe 1/4) to snug it up. There's an o-ring at the end of the tread and you want that to make a seal. Overtighting might crush or pinch the o-ring defeating its purpose. Get familiar with it. If you have a leak due to an o-ring, you'll be able to take the hose off, put a new o-ring on and go on you're way. If you have a break in a hose, you can buy a new one and put it on yourself. Don't wait until you have a problem to decide and experiment with your gear. I'm not talking repairing your reg here, just connecting hoses. When you do remove a hose, make sure you keep dirt/water/etc away from the opening in the first stage where it was threaded.

The Kraken:
NOTE:
To all "DIYer's", I do not advocate the use of cheater bars with open end wrenches for attaching hoses.
What's a cheater bar?

It's generally a piece of pipe that one slides onto the end of a wrench to get a 'weee' bit more leverage to get something just a 'weeeeeeeee' bit tighter.

They are generally used by the goons at the last automotive facility at which you had your tires serviced. You'll notice it when you try to break the lug nuts free when you have a flat somewhere out in the middle of Bumfudge, Egypt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom