Attracting sharks on dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take a plastic "crunchy" water bottle down filled with water. Get to depth, unscrew the top, blow out 2/3 of the water with your alternate, screw the top back on. Using two hands quickly roll the bottle back and forth kinda like you would trying to light a fire with a single stick and a fire board. The "crinkle/crunchy" sound and is almost exactly like a big school of fish going crazy eating. I don't have any evidence to prove it, but I am confident it absolutely gets sharks worked up a bit.

[video=youtube;eILvorucsGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eILvorucsGo[/video]

Last edited:
I think it was the poprock music that brought in sharks :D the rebreathers probably helped also .

On the subject of working a plastic bottle to draw sharks, here is a link to a YouTube video shot in Papua, New Guinea, and granted it's at 57 meters (not feet), but I shows a potential hazard. If you're not patient, the action takes place at about the 1:00 minute mark, so just drag the position bit over to around 0:50.

In a nut shell, a pretty good-sized shark comes in fast and makes a play for the bottle.

I'm reminded that if you don't wear gloves, a Caucasian's hands could pass for small fish in a rush. In a real work situation, a predator you didn't see first could 'blind-side' you, so to speak.

In Key Largo, I observed guides using small mirrors to try and lure reef sharks closer (once they'd already been seen), and I think it did do some good. Not 'swim up in your face' results.

Now, I wonder if any nearby large barracuda ever see the shaken mirror, think it's a thrashing little fish, and...

Richard.

When I hike in the woods, I don't try to bait the bears in, so why would it be a good idea to bait sharks on a dive?

guys, great videos. yes, this is whats done some times out here to attract sharks.

we're on the reef 99% of the times, in less than 20 meters. when it gets too hairy, i dump the air in my BC and hug the reef. they can come flying from all directions and overhead. quite surreal. when a pack gets together, the action increases. its cool to see them dive in a crevice to get a fish out, very violent.

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 04:47 PM ----------

When I hike in the woods, I don't try to bait the bears in, so why would it be a good idea to bait sharks on a dive?

im in the same camp as you......i think there's a fundamental difference between attracting and baiting.

Deleted

uh If the purpose of the hike, dive is view bears or sharks your certainly more likely to see one. If not then, not much reason to do so on either occasion. The title of thread assumes that attracting is the intent.

Get a rebreather. When I was in Playa we had bull sharks right in close (touching distance) when OC divers blowing bubbles showed up they moved to the shadows. The divers were making shark signs and high fiving each other then when they moved off the sharks came back over to us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom