Audio disappearing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have an Amphibico (TR5N, 1992 era) aluminum housing and a Sony (TR81, 1992 era) Hi8 video camera.

The housing has an external microphone that plugs into the ext. mic. receptacle on the camera. I get audio recorded properly while on the surface, but when I get to about five feet submerged, the sound disappears. What you hear is a loud frequency change from about 100 Hz up to 20K Hz, within one second and then no more sound (on playback.) Even when I get back to the surface, no sound is recorded.

My guess is that the external microphone diaphragm is being pushed in by the pressure and will not move after that. It works again (with the same results) the next time it’s used.

The camera records audio with no problems. I don’t plug the ext microphone into the camera, let it record sound through the housing (not great, but I get some audio.)

Any suggestions, Amphibico does not have replacement mics for this model.

Other than that, the housing is rock solid and really well built (no leaks so far – knock wood!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom