Audrey Mestre and the making of "The Dive"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Baumann

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Though I have not read Pipin Ferreras' book "The Dive" yet, nor have I read Carlos Serra's side of the story in his book "The Last Attempt," I have read every other bit of material about the story of freediver Audrey Mestre I could lay my hands on and I have consulted with several well known freedivers about it. Feeling uncomfortable about contributing to the success of these publications, I am now looking for borrowed copies of these books, or to buy them used.

In my opinion, the move should not be made however, for not only will it likely be one sided in it's presentation, it is consulted to by Pipin Ferreras, around which the controversy spins - he who was in charge of Audrey's dive preparation and making sure his loved-one stayed safe.

Audrey's death remains the greatest sadness in this story for me. The making of the movie in my opinion, will open wounds for those who share opinions like mine.

CB

...... In the current research I have concluded about Audrey Mestre's death in 2002 ......... Though I have not read Pipin Ferreras' book "The Dive" yet, nor have I read Carlos Serra's side of the story in his book "The Last Attempt,"........
im curious to know why you have such a strong belief in the events yet you have not read these two

cheers

There is an abundance of information out there about this event and about both Pipin Ferreras and Carlos Serra's views on the subject. In my research also, I have determined "The Dive" is actually in production - a screenplay writer has been assigned, a location for shooting has been identified - money has been set aside for the project and the production company has assigned an award winning director to its filming.

I will read both books, but only if I can borrow them from someone.

CB

.......My question back to you Almighty is have you investigated this tragedy? ....
no i havent actually
........ My second question is obvious, have you yourself read "The Dive," or "The Last Attempt.".....

and again no i have not, the books are sitting on the bedside table to be read after i finish No Safe Harbour

i found your post very intriguing and thats why i asked you earlier why you had not read them despite having such a passionate opinion

cheers

I would rather pay postage than pay the authors... but enough about me.

Good luck to you completely, and ... what time is it there - you are 6 hours behind me?

Craig

PS: This movie is not in production or pre-production right now. It is currently in development, which means that anything could happen with it. James Cameron is busy working on his Battle Angel project right now, as well as Avatar, so he's going to be occupied for a while.

This movie could be years away from seeing the screen, or it could possibly be never made at all.

I've read The Dive and I actually found that it served to damn him even more in my mind. He comes accross as an arrogant w4nker who was extremely blasé in the pursuit of his passion, which I'd say is acceptable when you're pushing yourself but not when pushing (or even just supporting) someone else, particularly a loved one. He also comes across as being rather simple, which is irrelevant with regard to his own achievments but would make him ignorant on certain matters (safety for instance). Regardless, he must live with the guilt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom