Audrey Mestre and the making of "The Dive"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of things... I know someone whose name I could mention here and everyone would recognize it, who quit training with Pipin because he was too pushy. I know someone else, who talked with Pipin at length at DEMA about the upcoming movie.

Yes, he must live with guilt, however the royalties from his book and what money he will make off consulting for "The Dive," as well as what he makes off the movie, will help him to sleep peacefully at night.

Done with this mess!

CB

I do not know Pipin personally.. nor do I care to. I would be willing to bet, however, that he has a bothered conscience about what happened to Ms. Mestre even if he doesn't present that outwardly. As has already been said, he lives with the grief of losing a spouse in such a tragic manner but I sincerely doubt that receiving any monies from any book or movie consultation will allow him to rest any more peacefully. Everyone seems to point to his arrogance but what gets me is the arrogance in which we judge and condemn him. What exactly is he supposed to do for us third party observers to assure us of his grief and torment? Perhaps this is his way of bringing about closure?

I just read The Dive and can't come to any real conclusions. All we know is what we read about it, we don't know the people personally and we weren't there. While I feel that it seems Pipin may have been partly to blame, when it comes down to it we all must take responsibility for ourselves when we go into the water.

On another note....I was just thinking about Audrey when I was watching an episode of Lost. If anyone else watches Lost do you think that the actress who plays Alex would make a good Audrey? She looks a lot like her, and is fluent in French.

If the movie is ever made I hope they don't overdramatize everything, and I hope they capture Audrey's spirit.

It's been a long time since I contributed to ScubaBoard. Yesterday I was looking in an internet search engine and found this thread which I started on Audrey Mestre. I don't recall why I began researching Audrey, but since that time I still have not read "The Dive.” All my research about Audrey was done on the web, with one important exception.

When I began to research the Audrey Mestre accident, what I discovered about it upset me greatly. One of the things I ran across was an interview with Tanya Streeter where questions were asked about the accident, so I knew she had a very strong opinion on the subject. I exchanged several email messages with Tanya about the incident and I finally decided to call her to make sure she was ok with discussing it. Although the part of Tanya's past where she trained with Pippin is sketchy and I did not ask her anything about it, I do know she quit training with Pippin because of his approach to freedive competition. I believe she also knew Audrey Mestre personally. Audrey's death came as a shock, but not a surprise to Tanya. She had predicted an accident of some kind, because of the way she was being pushed to break the “no limits” freediving record.

Post accident interviews of Pippin which I read showed he wanted Audrey’s dive in the record books, even though she did not survive it. Technically she had in fact, broken Tanya’s “no limits” freediving depth record, (don’t recall by how much) but of course she died in the process so the record was not given to her. More interviews later went on to say Pippin himself trained for and unofficially broke through the no limits record depth past 160m.

I don’t know Pippin, never knew Audrey and am only acquaintances with Tanya Streeter. Letting this issue rest for a period of time however, I have far less of a fiery passion for it. I emailed John Chatterton in the midst of my research on the subject, because he is good friends with James Cameron the proposed director of “The Dive,” and I asked him his opinion of the making of the movie amidst all the controversy. I am paraphrasing when I repeat what he said to me, but it was something to the effect of…. “Why shouldn’t Jim make the movie? In this case, it would not be his responsibility to make judgments about the subject mater.”

Tanya and Paul Streeter have had a baby girl “Tilly” since I first began writing about Audrey and I lost a friend to complications with Parkinson’s disease. Going through births and deaths changes a person’s focus, and to a great extent their priorities, but I have no doubt the Audrey Mestre accident will always be a very hurtful memory for Tanya, as it is for many other freedivers. My tendency to make judgments in the Mestre case has also changed, as feeling guilt about my limited visits to see my friend in the last year of his life; I can only imagine how a person like Pippin must feel, even if he presumes himself only remotely responsible for Audrey’s death.

My original passion for this story was born from the same place all my passions are born, and except for certain people and things where it is completely appropriate, passionate expressions have never served me well. Simply put, I get onto something, and it seems to reach me at a deep level – it is a blessing and a curse to feel things that way, and for the time I was involved in this story it was nearly as though I knew Audrey Mestre personally.

CB

I will read both books, but only if I can borrow them from someone.
If your local library does not have the books, they can probably get them for you through inter-library loan. I love my library card! :bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom