AUG 04 Dive Reports, Please post if you dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Date:
Dive Location:
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:

I find it helpful in making my dive decisions if I know what dive conditions were and where recently. If you dive, please have someone from the group post your dive here as soon as possible so the rest of us will know where the diving conditions are great, and where there not. Just copy the above format and hit reply.

Date: 08-01-2004
Dive Location: San Diego, Yukon (Wreck Ally)
Time: 9:18
Bottom Time: 28:40
Max Depth: 96 ft.
Vis: 30-40
Wave height: Minor Swells
Temp at depth: 54 degrees
Surface Temp: 61 degrees
Tide information: unknown
Comments:
Nice visibility.White-plumed Anemones all over the Yukon. Lots of nudibranchs, Painted Greenlings, a baby sheepshead, Bay Gobies, and more. I was a little cold and did not meet any resistence when I thumbed the dive. We headed back to the bouy chain and started our ascent. We climbed into the boat and moved to the Ruby E.

Date: 08-01-2004
Dive Location: San Diego, Ruby E (Wreck Ally)
Time: 10:56
Bottom Time: 26.20
Max Depth: 80 ft.
Vis: 30-40
Wave height: Minor Swells
Temp at depth: 55 degrees
Surface Temp: 61 degrees
Tide information: unknown
Comments:
More nudibranchs. Lots of Painted Greenlings, Club-tipped Anemones all over the ship. We cut this one early so we would not exceed our no decompression limits. Realizing we had just 45 minutes to return the boat, we jumped in and untied the boat and returned to the harbor. We made it back in time and had a great dive! Great skippering by Roy!

pics for both dives:
http://www.lagunashorediving.com/gallery/yukonrubyekelp08012004

Sean

divebuddysean:
Great skippering by Roy!
We actually did se you guys at the Yukon. Man it was a zoo over there so we didnt stop. I waved at Roy but he just thought I was crazy. See ya on the next dive.

Terry

Date: Sunday, August 1st
Dive Location: Crescent Beach, Laguna
Time: 9 ish am
Bottom Time: 33 min
Max Depth: 30 feet
Vis: approx. 10-15 feet (surprisingly good, considering that there was a yellow flag up the previous day, and surge was easily 5 feet)
Wave height: approx. 2 feet (I'm not good at estimating. They weren't too bad, but a little on the big side. Good lulls, though, so not difficult)
Temp at depth: I don't have my computer here to know for sure, but I do know that I was HOT the entire dive (actually sweating). The walk to the water from the car gets me warm, and I just never cooled down. It was probably mid 60's - it's definitely time for me to start diving without my hooded vest and switch to my little beanie thing, or even no hood at all.

Comments: I was able to try out my new computer and regulator, which was fun. The diving was nice, but like I said, the surge was pretty strong. One of those days to just relax and see where the water pushes you. We passed a number of other divers both on the surface and underwater. Also, saw a few bait balls, a horn shark, and lots of the other, usual suspects.
When we were gearing up, I realized that I forgot to bring my snorkle with me (not a big deal not to have it, except it's rule to have one in Laguna). I was paranoid that a lifeguard would stop us before we got in the water (once in, I could always just say I lost it there) and not let us dive. We actually passed 3 lifegaurds, but not one stopped me, so that was good. I'm too much of a goodie two shoes, though - next time, I'm going to make sure it's on me so I don't need to worry.
All in all, a nice day.

divinman:
We actually did se you guys at the Yukon. Man it was a zoo over there so we didnt stop. I waved at Roy but he just thought I was crazy. See ya on the next dive.

Terry

Guess I was not wearing my glasses at the time of the event. Yes, it was indeed a zoo. Get's better, after we tied down, with another boat (divers in the water), the buoy came undone, so here we have two boats drifting north in a nice current. Towed the other boat to the Loius Anne, where Woody took care of it, finally got ourselfs wet. Nice adventure.

Those pics look good Sean, nice colors.

Check out my dive profile for our 2nd dive on the Ruby E. We were so out of bottom time that the computer kicked into decompression mode, but once I was up higher it went back to no decompression and gave me a 3 min safety stop. I didn't notice it at the time, but maybe I should have headed up a few minutes earlier :11: Our other buddy didn't have a computer.

What do you guys suggest when a person wants to dive off your computer? In this case Roy had more bottom time than I did, but who knows for our buddy. Everything was fine, but what if it was not? Should he have dove on the tables?

Sean

divebuddysean:
... We were so out of bottom time that the computer kicked into decompression mode, but once I was up higher it went back to no decompression and gave me a 3 min safety stop...
Don't say I didn't warn you about your dive plan. You also did not mention the ATTENTION flag at the beginning of the dive. That would be your computer telling you you need more SI I bet. They do suggest the last 15 be done at a snails crawl. Now Sean, extend your left are at waist level. Firmly grasping the ruler in the right hand, swiftly strike the back of the left had several times.
divebuddysean:
... What do you guys suggest when a person wants to dive off your computer? ...
A polite but firm, NO.
divebuddysean:
... Should he have dove on the tables?[/Quote} Yes he should have as he has nothing else.

Date: 02 Aug 04
Dive Location:Long Point (old Marine Land) Palos Verde
Time: 11:15 a.m.
Bottom Time:31:50
Max Depth:19 fsw
Vis:10-15
Wave height:1-2 ft
Temp at depth:64 toasty SUUNTO degrees
Surface Temp: 70 Suunto degrees
Tide information: High Tide: 11:53 4.7 ft
Comments:
Met with RonDawg and we had a beautiful dive. Terrific sun shine, good water clarity, little surge in the shallows especially near the pebble beach. We planned for a 30 minute dive as RonDawg is still on the new side. Saw a nice sized California Halibut up close as he lay hiding. If you had to work, my condolences, you missed a great day to dive.

Note to self, When watching your dive buddy while descending (he was having a little trouble getting down) pay attention to where you are in the water. I was so busy watching Ron on the surface as I went down that I was facing up in the water. The result, my tank and errr, well my derrière made first contact with the ocean bottom. Needless to say, the spot my derrière selected to land was already occupied by a red urchin. Ouch. :11: Fortunately I was only stuck in 4 places and only one was long (1/4 inch) and came out in one piece. At least I hope that is all there was to it. I am sure it was funny to watch.

Dive Location: Lajolla Cove
Time:8:30am
Bottom Time:55min
Max Depth:45ft
Vis:5-10
Wave height:small swell
Temp at depth:55min
Surface Temp:70ish?
Tide information:
Comments: Vis was pretty poor at 30-40ft should be better in the canyon around 70ft

Sam

Date: Aug 4, 04
Dive Location: Marine Room - La Jolla
Time: 8:00PM
Bottom Time: 37min
Max Depth: 61fsw
Vis: 20+ft
Wave height: 0-1ft
Temp at depth: 52F
Surface Temp: 68F
Tide information: Low Tide

Comments: Sean, Ryan and myself met at the Marine room, geared up, discussed the dive plan and strolled down to the beach. Easy access as the waves was small. Swam out to the white buoy, took forever if I may add. Dropped down to about 30ft and headed West. For some reason we all decided to do the Canyon, the reefs weren't even mentioned. Let me just let you guys know, that at 60fsw, heading West down to 2000psi, we still haven't reached the canyon. What happened??? Last time we did this we headed North West and found it. Guess it doesn't go that far South. Well, it was a good nav dive and we all got a good workout. Lots of crabs, sleeping rock fish, some leopard sharks and a tiny octopos was spotted. Did our 20ft safety in the dark with no reference, rather interesting........ Discussed the movie "Open Water" on the 5000 hour swim back, did I mentioned we were really far out. We could hear the Cove seals arguing about the war in Irak. Sorry guys, next time we'll get it right. Sean will post the pictures I assume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom