August diving - conflicting suggestions and articles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scorpio84

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I am planning to do dives in mid-August (14-21). Possible destinations being Thailand or Indonesia or Egypt (may be somewhere else??)

- Thailand is preferred due to cost but am not able to understand if it is good to do that during August on east? In all the posts, articles am not getting a clear picture if it weather will screw my plans

- Others I have not researched much and more interested in knowing about Thailand possibility

Also wanted to do advanced course but it seems Thailand dive-centers are much costly (almost double) than that in India (even the Andamans ones) and hence just willing to do a 3-4 day dives

PS: Also looking for other solo divers as will be traveling solo

Thanks

I'd stay out of Egypt for a while...

Crystal Dive in Koh Tao seems as though their prices aren't bad when I look them up. Advanced is 210 Euro which is 269USD. That's on the lower end of average.

You do take a chance with the weather in Thailand at that time of year, it's usually fine and the boats will be running but there is the chance that the boats may not go to the scheduled dive sites. Having said that, up to this point we haven't been having the best weather for the last few weeks. If you're looking for the cheapest diving and courses then as toddthecat says Koh Tao is the best option, Phi Phi prices are also relatively cheap. Indonesia may work out cheaper in the long run if you go to the east coast of Bali and take the very good shore dives around Tulamben. Accommodation and unlimited diving can be had for around US$ 180 per day.

Koh Tao should have good weather this time of year. Phuket is something else.

Do consider quality of diving and do not focus merely on prices... Having worked a few years in Thailand and a few years in Bali, i can tell you that the quality of diving is incomparable!

I expect some unhappy replies as a result of this statement, but hey, I'm just telling the truth!

Koh Tao should have good weather this time of year. Phuket is something else.

Do consider quality of diving and do not focus merely on prices... Having worked a few years in Thailand and a few years in Bali, i can tell you that the quality of diving is incomparable!

I expect some unhappy replies as a result of this statement, but hey, I'm just telling the truth!
I would add Bunaken or Lembeh as well.
I don't see why you have to be apologetic for telling the truth.

I would agree with centrals, lembeh and bunaken would be an excellent option, can be done budget and diving is immensely superior to Thailand. Thought if u want more party atmosphere at same time then consider elsewhere. Bali in August is also excellent option with fair prices, great diving incl molas in August, plus option to party or explore, with gilli islands also next door. For me diving in ko Tao was average, nice island but diving wise can do much better.

Agree re lembeh, I guess see how much you like macro. And there is plenty of macro on bali east coast. Maybe combine tulumben and Amed with nusa lembongan. That way get mixture of macro, wreck, currents, molas and you can even stop at gillis for great beaches and drinking! Bali itself has plenty bars eg seminyak area but best diving is away from the bars. If you have time, spend some time in ubud, it's a lovely chilled out place with plenty to explore!

which area will be best & cheap to stay if my main motto is to dive assuming there will transportation charges etc. I mostly will stay in a hostel and am not what area I should go to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom