Augusta GA Dive - Memorial Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a central place to go to get more info about diving in Augusta? We are in ATL, and a lot of folks go to the quary in Pelham, but frankly this sounds more interesting.

I think we have a greater variety of diving. Currently our river has 10-15' of vis. It is 21' max. A couple of the river dives include N.Augusta Boat ramp at River View park. This used to be in the fall line of the river before the lock and dam were built so the bottom is sheets of rocks and boulders. Lots of fish life. Enter at boat ramp. Head west underwater, dive amongst the tree limbs and logs on the GA shore as you swim up river (usually minimal current here). Shortly after you run into the big tree (you will know it, this thing is 3' or more in diameter, begin you move to the SC side and swim up river. Large boulders in the 15-17' range. AT 1000' psi begin your turn back towards the boat ramp (South). Do not miss the exit. Carp, small cats under the ledges, shellcrackers and bass. Turtles too!
There is a nice long drift dive (5th street marina to the Boathouse odck about 1 mile downstream. Shipwreck at the south end of the first pilon in the water, reamins of the old Hamburg docks about 1/3 of the way out from the S shore, remains of the old Hamburg bridge about 1/2 way down. Fish on the old Hamburg docks, large boulders and trees with fish along the GA shoreline. Then there is the lake dive (see Clarks Hill/Lake Thurmond map post). 5mm suit with hood suggested for the river. 5-7mm with hood for the lake dives.

That is some great info, thank you very much! Would you mind me contacting you once my schedule free's up and maybe tagging along one day to get a feel for the diving there with someone who knows the area? Also, do you dive doubles, Steel 120's, Al 80's? As a guage, I live off of exit 60 on I-20.

Sure, you are welcome to join us. Just pm when you are able and I'll let you know our plans. We dive most weekends local (except in 2 wks we may be at Jocassee and somewhere way south in the Carib in July). We dive 100's steels (120s work too) on the first dive and 80's or 100s on the second (our local shop does have lp 95s in rental).

Diveprof -

Hope to join y'all again some over the summer. We have a new puppy, and I have taken him to the east dam (SC Welcome Center) a couple times for surface swims. We might catch you there one of these days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom