Australia Live-aboards...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teufelhunden

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have any experience with australian liveaboards? My wife and I are planning to dive GBR in October/November and are looking at the various liveaboards, wanted to hear what people have experienced, heard good bad or indifferent..

Thanks

hi Teuf and welcome

i also suggest trying out our local forum at www.diveoz.com.au as you might find some info there to assist you

goodluck

Advokat:
You should decide very quickly,as most are either already fully booked or have limited places

You are kidding right? Most have spaces on the day they leave if you are flexible you can get a berth for half Price. Or at least I have my my three trips out there.

Cheers
Chriso

I've never had any problem booking 6-8 weeks in advance, and it is cheaper to shop for bargains when up there.

My only suggestion is to go for a 4-5 day trip minimum to get out to the Coral Sea reefs (Osprey, Bougainville, etc): nice walls and sharks, then across to the Ribbon Reefs (Cod Hole, etc). Day boats and overnight boats only go out to a few overcrowded piss-poor reefs.

Plenty of threads in this forum cover most boats that do this circuit: browse through the threads here and don't worry - there are no bad boats out there. I'd suggest Mike Ball for high-end and Undersea Explorer if on a budget. Nimrod, Taka, Sprit of Freedom are also all good.

There were some complaints that Mike Ball had high prices for his fixed price US$ bookings compared to local A$ prices: however with the recent rise in the A$ you may actually save money by booking ahead.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Sydney_Diver:
You are kidding right? Most have spaces on the day they leave if you are flexible you can get a berth for half Price. Or at least I have my my three trips out there.

Cheers
Chriso

I emailed TAKA,and got a reply that most of the trips in october were fully booked.dont know what its like on other boats.

I think you may find an email soon stating "Hey we have one slot that just opened up and it's full retail price... you need to book ASAP". I'm not an expert on OZ, in fact I'm heading out in less than a month for the first time (w/ family).

I may be wrong, but these are not usually cheap trips so I would highly doubt that they are booked that far in advance unless it is some special time (OZ spring break, etc...)

It boils down to this... if you have flex time, wait until you get very close to the date before attempting to book. It you have a tight schedule then you may lean more towards booking ahead. I would hate to goto OZ and not be able to make the liveaboard trip that I wanted. I followed these rules:

1. Understand your schedule (flex or constrained).
2. Research your options (boats, locations and dates of departure / arrival).
3. Season in which you are going (high, med or low).
4. How far in advance can you contact them to get the best deal (2 weeks out = 30%, 1 week out = 50% discount, etc...).

Take those things into consideration before running off to book at the retail rate online. Same thing goes for hotels there as well... be willing to book the hotel a day or two before getting on the flight and you will save some decent money there as well.

I'll be there in June for 2 weeks (first time, so take my comments with a grain of salt). I have done the steps above and am planning on executing my plan as the time gets closer. What is funny is usually I'm the type of person that likes to have EVERYTHING booked / locked in before heading out. This should make for an interesting trip...

I have liked the Spirit of Freedom http://www.spiritoffreedom.com.au/ and Taka dive is not to bad either.

You need to book early as they do fill up.

Day trips I would use Quick silver out to the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom