Australia, when??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pamdiv

Contributor
Reaction score
Central California, until I retire then it's somew
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey there all you world travellers! Got a question.
I am planning a trip to Australia that will include a liveaboard and a stay in Cairns. Our options are Feb or April of 2006, or is June or July better? It will probably be our only trip there and would like to optimize our diving experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pam

Hey Pamdiv- I am sitting in Cairns now and it is really quiet. The people diving today are in about 20 metres of visability and having a great sunny day. Discounts do apply at this time of year.. eg 3 day 2 night 11 dives for about $450.00 instead of $560.00
Extreme diving comes down from $1100 to about $790.00. This will not happen in June July but it will be cooler, a lot cooler. I run an independant information centre in Cairns and what I notice is cheeper rates for customers accommodation, car rental and diving about this ime of year.

Hope ive helped
Kind Regards

Andy
info@experiencecairns.com.au

Pamdiv:
Hey there all you world travellers! Got a question.
I am planning a trip to Australia that will include a liveaboard and a stay in Cairns. Our options are Feb or April of 2006, or is June or July better? It will probably be our only trip there and would like to optimize our diving experience. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Pam

We've been in June and July before. The Minke whales are around the end of June beginning of July. We'll be there this early July. Go north on a liveaboard that goes to Lizard Island and farther north if possible like Osprey reef.

Dive safe,
Caymaniac

Hey guys,

What's Cairns (both topside/diving) like in Nov? Might have the in-laws visiting from the US that month, and they're interested in heading up to see the reef. Haven't been up there at that time of year before.

Andrew Jones:
Hey Pamdiv- I am sitting in Cairns now and it is really quiet. The people diving today are in about 20 metres of visability and having a great sunny day. Discounts do apply at this time of year.. eg 3 day 2 night 11 dives for about $450.00 instead of $560.00
Extreme diving comes down from $1100 to about $790.00. This will not happen in June July but it will be cooler, a lot cooler. I run an independant information centre in Cairns and what I notice is cheeper rates for customers accommodation, car rental and diving about this ime of year
Hope ive helped
Kind Regards

Andy
info@experiencecairns.com.au
OH PSHAW!! We had just decided that June would be the best time for us, now I'm back on the fence again. I really would like to see the whales in June, but prices in Feb ???......... tune in again next week folks, she may just change her mind again!!!

I suspect you are being quoted prices in Aussie dollars, rather than US, so the difference may not be as great as you think.

Mark Goodchild:
I decided on June. Heading out to Osprey hopefully if the seas not too rough.

I'm taking a 5mm suit, anyone think I'll be too cold?

I've a report on my website for January and one coming soon from June last year. June does sound much better!

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Reports/CoralSeaReportAustraliaRobinTunderman.htm

Thanks!

Hi Mark, I should think you'll be snug and warm in that 5mm suit in June. In January, I think you'll be really hot, especially if you're wearing it on the boat on the way out to a dive.

And, in reply to Roz, the Aussie dollar is pretty high right now. It's worth between 78 and 80 cents of a US dollar. So, the difference in prices is still a LOT.

AU$1100 is about US$870

AU$790 is about US$623

Back
Top Bottom