Auto inflated SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation once bubbled...
This attaches to (one of) your lower dump valve(s) - if I only had one lower valve I wouldn't use it as I believe it kills the valve dump capabilities and the valve becomes a dedicated inflator. If the valve remains usable until this thing is deployed, I'm all for it. But the ones I saw required a retro-fit and the "valve" sort of goes away and the hole in the bladder becomes the SOS inflator.

Its not "auto" inflate at all. Once you pull the cord, it only inflates when you're inflating your BC. If you pull the cord with no intention to use the device, i imagine some of the gas in your BC will migrate to the device - but there will be no additional lift.

So unless you're planning on using your BC as a jetpack to the surface, I can't see this thing contributing to an out of control ascent. Its sole source of gas is from a BC lower dump valve.

Agreed - the C02 version is scary stuff (rock on, eBay). This one will only be deployed by your BC inflator - I don't see the danger. Its sort of a hands-free sausage (or SMB.... whatever). I thought it was pretty cool (if you had 2 lower dump valves)

KK

I believe you talking about the SeaQuest SOS. You're correct that it isn't an "auto" inflate. It does inflate once it is released and you power inflate your bc. I have seen only one accidentally pop loose. It didn't unroll completely since it didn't inflate much. We were able to roll it up and put it back in place without much problem.

As for losing your lower dump valve. You don't. It replaces the present dump valve with one that is connected to the SOS. From what I've seen you loose no dump capabilities at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom