Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Homunculus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi all and thank you for reading.

i've found a source of air leaks from my OMS 32 lbs wing - several mini cuts of the same length close to each other, and there is another on on the other side (same area of the wing, just opposite side). Not 100% sure how it happened as the shell has no visible damage whatsoever. 2 guesses - (1) someone tried to lift the rig by grabbing the wing and thus pinching the bladder causing cuts but that would have to happen repeatedly to explain several of them; more plausible (2) the wing, while attached to a tank, was banged up against something. The fact that the cuts are of very similar morphology support the banging hypothesis.

In any case, my question to you is what's the best way to repair these small bladder cuts? I bought Aquaseal adhesive and several vinyl patch kits. None of the patch materials match the bladder in thickness and feel although all are advertised as pool/inflatables repair kits. I believe the bladder is polyurethane. Using a fine ruler (since i don't have a caliper), the thickness of my OMS bladder is ~ 0.25 mm. Googling polyurethane sheets, i can't find anything thinner than 1 mm. Looking at the wing, i can see some extra materials on the edges (shown on the 2nd pic). I don't believe cutting it will compromise the integrity since the seam won't be affected. Im not sure if covering small cuts with slightly larger patch is going to do a job.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to repair it?

P.S. i did buy a new OMS 32 lbs bladder for $67 but it says it fits shells made after 2015 which mine is not. It has not arrived yet. I will try it but preparing myself to returning it if it does not fit. I feel that this is something that can and should be fixed instead of buying a new wing ($326) unless i'm convinced otherwise here.

20240209_212622.jpg
20240209_212937.jpg

I've repaired quite a few and even made my own air bladder. it's not critical to use the same thickness material, only that it's the same materiel. However, thinner material flexes more easily. For structural areas, use two patches and overlap them. Use an adhesive specifically made for polyurethane and test it first. Sand both bonding surfaces with fine sand paper to bust off the gloss, then clean it with Alcohol. Warmer material works more easily and the adhesive cures faster. Most importantly: Do not do this as a project on the coffee table at 1am! The very strong adhesive fumes will dull your brain so you won't smell it but the rest of the family will. Trust me on that. Even my dogs tried to bite me!

Brilliant idea, it's what I would have suggested, strips not much longer than the pinches

Aquaseal type stuff

Prefer no cotol, and cut some milk bottle material to put inside the bladder, for no stick
and also for under the weight you use to hold your repair down whilst drying overnight

extra materials on the edges

I just adore urethane work, in the laundry, I'm on the washing machine, see the tub

013a.jpg

Having added rebreather lung fitting, sealing flanges, better than a bought one

010a.jpg

Yeah I like it, and everyone should have a doing fixing things urethane collection

hi all and thank you for reading.

i've found a source of air leaks from my OMS 32 lbs wing - several mini cuts of the same length close to each other, and there is another on on the other side (same area of the wing, just opposite side). Not 100% sure how it happened as the shell has no visible damage whatsoever. 2 guesses - (1) someone tried to lift the rig by grabbing the wing and thus pinching the bladder causing cuts but that would have to happen repeatedly to explain several of them; more plausible (2) the wing, while attached to a tank, was banged up against something. The fact that the cuts are of very similar morphology support the banging hypothesis.

In any case, my question to you is what's the best way to repair these small bladder cuts? I bought Aquaseal adhesive and several vinyl patch kits. None of the patch materials match the bladder in thickness and feel although all are advertised as pool/inflatables repair kits. I believe the bladder is polyurethane. Using a fine ruler (since i don't have a caliper), the thickness of my OMS bladder is ~ 0.25 mm. Googling polyurethane sheets, i can't find anything thinner than 1 mm. Looking at the wing, i can see some extra materials on the edges (shown on the 2nd pic). I don't believe cutting it will compromise the integrity since the seam won't be affected. Im not sure if covering small cuts with slightly larger patch is going to do a job.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to repair it?

P.S. i did buy a new OMS 32 lbs bladder for $67 but it says it fits shells made after 2015 which mine is not. It has not arrived yet. I will try it but preparing myself to returning it if it does not fit. I feel that this is something that can and should be fixed instead of buying a new wing ($326) unless i'm convinced otherwise here.

View attachment 826139View attachment 826138
Gear Aid (same company that sells Aquaseal) makes a great product called Tenacious Tape, which would be ideal for this kind of repair. Apply the tape and coat it with a layer of Aquaseal just to be sure.

Gear Aid (same company that sells Aquaseal) makes a great product called Tenacious Tape, which would be ideal for this kind of repair. Apply the tape and coat it with a layer of Aquaseal just to be sure.
This. Make sure to round the edges and masking off the area you anticipate gluing will keep it looking pretty. Same repair method for mountaineering hardshells.

I found this stuff and it is very thick and I think it should work. Put some on a smb recently and seems to be working. With small cuts like that, if the tape begins to fail, the leak would be slow, so not too much to worry about.

Yeah I repaired a torn open corner of a rEvo counterlung that had been folded over and stuck with gaffer tape

It wasn't leaking

But I enjoy doing lifetime repairs with the right adhesives and parts from the same material the thing is made

027.JPG

And I forever thank those that say, "Why do you need that ****!" or "Why are you buying that old rubbish BCD

Etc etc etc!

Hang it in your dive place at home, looks good, who will be the wiser you are cannibalising it for bits & pieces

thanks a lot for useful suggestions. Will check tenacious tape and tear aid.

as far as comments many of you made (which was my gut feeling as well) - using the same material as a patch (in my case polyurethane, assuming here). Where do you get that same material (other than buying old/broken stuff)?

@Waterwulf - would not 1 mm patch of the same material as the bladder, especially a few patches, compromise elastability of the bladder?

Back
Top Bottom