Lets Talk Wing Construction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ordura vs Ballstic Nylon (amusingly enough it refers to a dead post here): What's the difference between Cordura and Ballistic Nylon?

I had come across that thread when I was originally searching for more information. I thought it was a weird place to find a reference to scubaboard.

The gear doesn't make the diver

I understand this completely which is why we get in the water as much as we can. Even under Covid-19 we both have been working in the Intex pool we bought for our children.

In the end, it is just hard to weed through all of the marketing and advice from our local dive shops.

In the end, it is just hard to weed through all of the marketing and advice from our local dive shops.
Check out the Zeagle Express Tech. The 'non-deluxe' is the absolute best and the pricing is awesome. I will buy the Deluxe and change out the straps. It's the best of both worlds. It's funny, but I prefer the bigger bladder even though I don't usually have air in it. I tend to only use a bladder when I'm on the surface and want to float.

I had come across that thread when I was originally searching for more information. I thought it was a weird place to find a reference to scubaboard.

I don't think there's any real performance difference between ballistic nylon and cordura, use what wing you like and take care of it. You get really hung up and either are going to get messed up.

Currently dive the XT Wing. Within the first month I owned it I put it on a hook to dry and unfortunately the hook snapped one evening and the wing and back plate dropped 5 feet onto a concrete slab. The back plate cut right through the outer and inner layer on both sides of the wing! Patched up the outer layer and purchased a new inner and its as good as new.....no need to replace the whole wing.

I do a lot of hunter gathering where the wing is hard up against rocks and reef and you would hardly know it. I am more worried about scratching my Dive computer than I am about hitting the wing into anything. You have to do something stupid like drop it from a height directly onto concrete to puncture it (haha). Even if you somehow do manage to puncture it while diving (highly unlikely) its even less likely you are going to rip a gaping hole in the outer material so at worst you have a slow leak that can easily be managed.

Safety first
FLY BCD comply with qualifications of European Standards and possess all important CE Certificates.

Thats a simple one. All equipment sold within the EU should be in possession of all CE markings and certifications relevant to the product.
Products without the CE markings are not allowed to be sold via European shops and web shops.

As if you needed another choice, for made-in-the-US gear don't forget Light Monkey. I just bought the Light Monkey Singles Wing. After 7 dives so far I have no regrets. I also have a Halcyon Eclipse which I also use. That is also a great wing but obviously VERY expensive. I wanted a high quality second wing and wanted one made in the US. I decided to go with the LM.

https://www.lightmonkey.us/wings-c1vtx

Good info on wing construction!! Thanks!

Based on this info, if I wanted a 30 pound lift wing, what would the trade-offs be, if I was to purchase the popular DGX S1 wing over the more costly wings?

Yeah, my wing died in Fiji by those who transported it from one boat to the next. The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so ingenious in how they break things. They broke the plastic flange for the corrugated hose. I finished the week of diving 'old school' sans bladder.
Most operators say that you have to have a “buoyancy compensating device” to dive with them, but they don’t say it has to work, ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom