Autofocus is sometimes slow - how to deal with this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have found that even in spot focus the autofocus in the Oly 5050 can take some time before it will focus on the subject, going in and out of focus several times before locking in. This especially happens in supermacro.

Are others having this problem? If so, how are you dealing with this?

Thanks
Nick

Yeah, I sometimes have the same problem. The camera tries to focus on something behind my subject. Eventually it usually gets it but it IS aggrivating. Moving the camera and changing the angle helps or if you can slip you hand behind and block the background until the camera focuses on the subject....this isn't always possible.

Yes this happens, especially in low light. Use a focus-assist light, like a dive torch with a diffused beam.

Blue water blues! I had problems at Bokissa Island Vanuatu, getting AF to lock on mid-water moving targets - a beautiful school of Dogtooth Tuna swam by - silvery/blue with a blue water backdrop - but the unit couldn't find focus!! I said a few words - this has been the only flaw in AF that I can find. It is important to get used to half depressing the shutter while you set up the shot - then you can squeeze once locked on. I sometimes lock on a object the same distance away that is clear and then move my aim to the subject.

Alan Wiggs:
Blue water blues! I had problems at Bokissa Island Vanuatu, getting AF to lock on mid-water moving targets - a beautiful school of Dogtooth Tuna swam by - silvery/blue with a blue water backdrop - but the unit couldn't find focus!!
Assuming you were using an Oly, in a situation like that (school of fish) try iESP instead of Spot.

Good - yes I am using an Olympus - a C5000 in fact, but what is iESP? I gather this is a different focus setting?

Thanks!

Alan Wiggs:
Good - yes I am using an Olympus - a C5000 in fact, but what is iESP? I gather this is a different focus setting?
Yes.

Spot Focus:
Focus selection is based on the subject within the AF target mark.

iESP Focus
Focus selection is based on the entire picture on the screen. Even when the subject is not in the center of the screen, focusing is possible.

Sometimes in iESP mode you will see the AF target mark [ ] 'jump' to the area it is focusing on.

I had some problems last night taking a shot of some storm clouds with the setting sun behind them. The was very definate light and dark areas but the focus would go in and out and only lock ib about 1 of 6-8 tries. I switched from ESP! to Spot and back again, didn't make a difference. Even though the clouds were 1/2 mile away, I even tried macro! I got 3 shots out of about 25-30 tries. I also tried P mode instead of manual.

Any ideas?

ReyeR:
Yes.

Spot Focus:
Focus selection is based on the subject within the AF target mark.

iESP Focus
Focus selection is based on the entire picture on the screen. Even when the subject is not in the center of the screen, focusing is possible.

Sometimes in iESP mode you will see the AF target mark [ ] 'jump' to the area it is focusing on.

Thanks! I'll have to try this, asssuming that my C5000 has an iESP setting. IS thia something you could select rapidly, when a school of Tuna say flash through quickly? I didn't have enough time to change anything yet along focus settings. I thought choosing an appropriate target at a similar distance may work - lock on that and then hope!

Thanks again for your advice. Cheers!

Wiggsy.

Most cameras focus by looking for contrast on edges of details. When the contrast is sharp the focus will lock. Contrast needs light. In low light areas there is not enough light and shadow to focus. This is why a focus assist light helps. It gives light to the scene to make contrast so that the camera can see the edges. A focus assist light can be as simple as a flashlight but you may want something more specific so it creates a nice even spread of light rather than a spot so it helps your photo rather than hurt it.
There are specific focus assist lights.

This is the same reason the focus will hunt on clouds at night or if you are shooting something that is a solid even color.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom