Automotive defog for my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midnight Star

Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is going to sound really strange, but has anyone ever tried using something like Fog-X or it's like on the inside of a mask to prevent fogging? It seems if the lens was clean, and freshly coated, a quick dip in the water will remove any chemicals that might still be present (other than the microfilm left on the lens) - never again would a spittle drop. :)

btw: I use a combination of baby shampoo, isopropol alcohol and water for my homemade defog and it works great! Just curious on the Fog-X stuff.

-----

Mike.

I use Johnson's baby shampoo and water too. Works great and fairly inexpensive.

I would think that any automotive no fog would burn your eyes. Either the fumes or when water rinses the inside of your mask and then gets in your eyes, that would be a problem.

TOM

One key attribute of a dive mask defog is that it is safe for they eyes. I wonder how Fog-X stacks up.

First time I hear of cutting the baby shampoo with isopropol alcohol. I was using 50% water but I've switched to 100% shampoo.

Pete

spectrum:
I was using 50% water but I've switched to 100 shampoo.

Pete

Hey Pete;

I have been using 1/3 baby shampoo to 2/3 water and it works. Why did you switch to 100% shampoo? Did your mask still fog when it was watered down a little?

TOM

Didn't we just have this discussion?

Where's that search function key thingie?

I use spit; it works great. AND, I am willing to share. :11:

REII:
I use Johnson's baby shampoo and water too. Works great and fairly inexpensive.

I would think that any automotive no fog would burn your eyes. Either the fumes or when water rinses the inside of your mask and then gets in your eyes, that would be a problem.

TOM
I was thinking that too. Especially given the chemicals they use to "emulsify" the anti-fog agent. But I think on Fog-X (or something like that), it's a type of oil thats micro-emulsified in solution. When you put it on, the "dispersant" evaporates away (and can be rinsed repeatedly in water), leaving a micro-thin layer of oil which is what prevents fog from forming. I'm not sure if it'd work in saltwater though, or if the residual oils would harm your eyes as bad as the liquid they use to "hold" it. I'm pretty sure the bottle is going to say "Keep away from the eyes!" :)

-----

Mike.

Jon C:
I use spit; it works great. AND, I am willing to share. :11:

Nope, no problem with mask fogging here. :no Maybe the guy just to my left needs some ... :D

-----

Mike.

All I know is that if you accidentally get Rain-X on the INSIDE of your window, you are hosed. It's a fog MAGNET.

Thanks Matt. :) - I've never gotten that stuff on the inside of my windows yet!

-----

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom