Avalon Clean Up '05...Hotels and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thought I would start a new tread re the Avalon Clean Up 05. I called the Hermosa Hotel yesterday to make my reservation for the 'weekend.' They called me back later, stating that they will be charging **SUMMER RATES*** that weekend! Ugh! Last year, it was $25 per night for the 'E' Room.

Well, if I have to pay Summer Rates, I'm booking myself into a better Hotel. I don't understand their thinking. Here we come, pay money AND hotel rates to clean 'their' bay!!!

Anyone planning on going, and what group will be you be going with? Or, are we going to do a Scubaboard Group???

I had a blast last year, even though it was raining. We were going to be wet anyway, right? Also, it happens to be my birthday weekend!!! Whoo hoo! Party ON! :dazzler1:

FYI

I just heard from Jill Boivin. The date has been changed for the clean up. It was originally scheduled for Presidents' Day weekend but will now be on February 26.

Jim

Diver_Jan:
Hi everyone,

Thought I would start a new tread re the Avalon Clean Up 05. I called the Hermosa Hotel yesterday to make my reservation for the 'weekend.' They called me back later, stating that they will be charging **SUMMER RATES*** that weekend! Ugh! Last year, it was $25 per night for the 'E' Room.

Well, if I have to pay Summer Rates, I'm booking myself into a better Hotel. I don't understand their thinking. Here we come, pay money AND hotel rates to clean 'their' bay!!!

Anyone planning on going, and what group will be you be going with? Or, are we going to do a Scubaboard Group???

I had a blast last year, even though it was raining. We were going to be wet anyway, right? Also, it happens to be my birthday weekend!!! Whoo hoo! Party ON! :dazzler1:

did you get the "I survived the Hermosa Hotel" t-shirt.

(thank you again, DrB. That never gets tired....) :10:

I should print up an "I survived the Bottom Scratcher" t-shirt. I'd sell a zillion of them.... Its a floating Hermosa, except where the Hermosa is spartan (like the BS) its at least clean and has more gear storage.

Really hope to make it this year... I hate missing the clean up.

Ken

LOL, Ken, u crack me up..... I'd like to do the cleanup, never done it before..... I'm in Quadra on the 19th, glad they switched it.

jlyle:
FYI

I just heard from Jill Boivin. The date has been changed for the clean up. It was originally scheduled for Presidents' Day weekend but will now be on February 26.

Jim

So are the summer rates still in effect for the 26th?

If they are going to charge 'summer' rates, they can clean up their own darn bay!

Ann Marie:
If they are going to charge 'summer' rates, they can clean up their own darn bay!
I agree. If businesses want to profit from the fact that a bunch of people want to come out and clean up garbage (which ultimately affects those businesses in a positive way), let the city council charge those businesses for a "commercial" outfit to come out and clean it up. I'd rather spend my money on a purely recreational boat dive that day if that's the way the businesses in Avalon view it. I'd just as well make sure that they get "less" business in Avalon that day if they just want to profit from the people that are trying to help.

Just my reactionary 2 cents.

Christian

headhunter:
I agree. If businesses want to profit from the fact that a bunch of people want to come out and clean up garbage (which ultimately affects those businesses in a positive way), let the city council charge those businesses for a "commercial" outfit to come out and clean it up. I'd rather spend my money on a purely recreational boat dive that day if that's the way the businesses in Avalon view it. I'd just as well make sure that they get "less" business in Avalon that day if they just want to profit from the people that are trying to help.

Just my reactionary 2 cents.

Christian
Agree and agree with what you agree :laugh: . If they want to take advantage of our volunteerly clean-up work for them, why don't we just make it darn business talk. I don't mind to get paid and use that $$$ to cover up portion of the hotel cost so that the outcome = winter price.

In many aspects we are a 'boost' to their economy without charging us the "summer" rates. Boat ride, bar tabs, hotel (two rooms for my family), bar tabs, food, bar tabs, misc. purchases, bar tabs, and taxi service ('cause I might have forgotten where I parked my hotel). It would cost way more for me to go pick up trash than it would for a regular boat dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom