Avalon Conditions Sat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayaspock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are planning on going to Avalon on Sat to finally get wet this year. I am looking at the weather and it looks like we are going to have some Santa Ana activity. Does anyone have a surf report, should we reschedule?

We were out at the Park two weeks ago on a day the weather reports were predicting Santa Ana winds.
We went anyway. The wind never happened, and we had a spectacular day with excellent viz and lots of GBSBs around.

Just as important as the wind:
We always check the tides before going to Avalon. We won't go on a day when low tide coincides with our dive window. High tide days are much better because the steps are partially underwater, and the entry and exists are much much easier. During low tide entries and exits involve a lot of gymnastics to climb up and down between the rocks.
High tide also means it's easier for the student divers, so the OW classes don't bunch up around the stairs creating long lines and confusion.

Good news, the tides this weekend are very favorable. Next weekend, not so good. The weekend after that, good again.

Have a great trip, and please post a conditions report.

-K

Swells and wind both look good for Saturday. Might be a little bit rougher on the boat ride back. As mentioned above, watch the tides (chart below). Looks good for the morning getting in- will be a tough exit late in the afternoon. Conditions have been good, although viz has been less in the dive park that it is at outlying sites. We had 20-30 feet of milky blue last weekend. Good news is the water was still warm, in the low 60's at 70ft.
SwellWatch 3D   Surf Report and Forecast.jpg

Santa Ana winds produce wind generated waves from the east, which can adversely affect diving in the park. The island shelters the park from the swell which normally comes from the northwest and west. So, surf reports based on swell prediction may not have a lot of relevance to diving the dive park.

Any reports from today at the Park (Sat. 10-7)? A fairly strong Offshore is predicted for Monday when my buddy and I want to go, but the tide sync looks good.

Thanks all for your info! The surge was pretty strong but nothing that we haven't seen before in the park. Was a couple of good dives. The highlights were that the kelp is coming back. Also we saw a 4 foot black sea bass at about 50 feet not too far from the Cousteau plaque in the middle of of a kelp circle. Couple of other people that got in early confirmed they saw it too. That is the shallowest I have seen one, every other time was at about 90 near the sue jac. Thanks again all, looking forward to my next trip in December.

We always check the tides before going to Avalon. We won't go on a day when low tide coincides with our dive window. High tide days are much better because the steps are partially underwater, and the entry and exists are much much easier. During low tide entries and exits involve a lot of gymnastics to climb up and down between the rocks.
High tide also means it's easier for the student divers, so the OW classes don't bunch up around the stairs creating long lines and confusion.
One thing most divers at the park forget, there is no law that says you have to use the steps. Before they were installed everyone walked down the rocks. I've been there when classes were blocking the steps so I just walked past them on the rocks.

As for Jayaspock's comment about the depth giant sea bass are observed, I have been observing them around Catalina for nearly 20 years now. When hovering they tend to ride the thermocline. During warm water episodes, that can place them deep (around 90 ft) but during cooler water periods they can be much shallower. This year has been cooler and many have seen them in quite shallow water. Also, when they are actively swimming they can be seen at a wide range of depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom