Average depth determination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, guys.
Just a question about Mares Nemo comp. Forgive me if the answer is blatantly obvious, but I cannot find any details or even a hint as to whether or not the Nemo has the ability to give the average depth of a dive. It's not in the manual and it's not displayed on the comp. (to my knowledge). Is this correct or not - does this comp. have that ability?
Thanks.

Why would you want to know average?
For decompression purposes this says vey little.

For air consumption it is of course a good measure.

Just curious....

Jim

jimclarke:
Why would you want to know average?
For decompression purposes this says vey little.

For air consumption it is of course a good measure.

Just curious....

Jim

It's required to determine one's SAC rate for a given dive.

the K

I noticed that shortcoming too. I suppose you could average it yourself using the 20sec. log, but that would take 180 data entries for a one hour dive. Any chance of a firmware update on that?

The Kraken:
It's required to determine one's SAC rate for a given dive.

the K

Thanks...always something to learn

The Kraken,
Excuse my "newbieness", but what does SAC stand for? ...Safe Ascent ???....

jimclarke,
I'm not really sure how I could use the average depth except that there's a spot for it in my Log Book, and I guess it probably has some use for something which I haven't figured out yet (besides, of course, the SAC...and I'm about to find out what that means).
Thanks, guys!

I had to look this up too. SAC is surface air consumption.
It is handy for planning dives as you can estimate how much air you will need.

To calculate SAC
If you know the total free air used in a dive (tank size x pressure drop in bar) and you divide this by your average ambient presure =(1 + depth in meters/10) and divide again by the time (minutes) you get your air consumption figure SAC.

Now for planning
Working back air needed = SAC x minutes x (1+ (average depth in meters/10))
Air available is tank size x pressure in bar (assumming you go to zero bar)

I suppose its also cool if you can show off how little you use by quoting your SAC.....

Good diving ...... lots of fun and not too many sums!

PS when I trained and photos were black and white all dive calculations were squre profile.
In that way average depth was the max depth was the depth. It was easier on the head if a little conservative.
It really doesnt work with modern diving practice (or theory) so I will have to change my between the ear software.
Good job this scubaboard is here to help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom