awful headache and joint pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freedyjay

New
Reaction score
hey there,

i've been taking a scuba certification this week (we do our first open water dive monday,) and so far we've been in the pool for three days. after the 2nd day i developed a terrible headache that went away (only a little) with asprin. after the third day, i developed a headache (not as severe) but felt exhausted and almost felt like passing out at one point (and also felt like vomiting but that passed quickly.) my ears were ringing a lot after the third dive (hours later, not right away) so i think i'm having equlilization problems and not decompression problems (although my hands joints have been hurting -- not severe, but they're sore -- might be due to tight gloves?) i know i've had trouble equalizing -- my ears were ringing a high pitched ringing at one point -- not pain but probably not good. over the years, i've broken my nose many times (and had it fixed) and often have ear problems when flying, (AND i have bad allergies) so i assume it's all related, but should i be nervous the ear pain hasn't stopped? and that i still feel fatigued and just not well? and what can i do to stop the ear pain?

Thanks,
Freedyjay

I agree with the toadfish, see a doctor soon. This problem may have nothing at all to do with your SCUBA class, but it could. Let us know what turns up. We all learn from others on the board, experienced divers and newbies as well.

i did go to the doctor this morning and he told me i have an ear infection. and because of that, i definitely can't go diving for a few weeks (if i did i would risk damaging/destroying my ears for good.) luckily, that explains the headaches and dizziness. he's got me on anti-biotics for a week and claritin, which should help open everything up.

thanks for the advice.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. The ear infection will be gone soon and you can get back in the water to finish your SCUBA Cert. Have fun and dive safe.

I agree,see the quack and have yourself checked out and then get back into the water as soon as it is safe.
Cheers Big ears,
The one and only
Gasman

I don't think your other symptoms are related to your ear infection. They are classic "excessive carbon dioxide" symptoms, which usually means that your breathing is too rapid and shallow. When you start your pool sessions again, concentrate on slow, regular, deep breathing and see if you don't feel better. Another possibility is dehydration, so make sure you are drinking plenty of water (water, not soft drinks, coffee or tea).
Rick

Hi Freedyjay,

Ditto Rick on the the CO2 headache. Has the classic features. Very unlikely from your description this is related to an ear infection. You need to make sure your breathing (and gear) is such that CO2 is properly vented. Your instructor can assist you with this.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I would have to agree with the CO2 but why not both?-ear infection(physicaly diagnosed) and CO2 difficulties??

My advice is see a doctor who knows something about scuba diving. A moto I realized from nursing is "If all you have is a hammer everyting looks like a nail"-i.e. if you would have gone to an orhtopaedist she/he would have said that you have arthritis and that made you tense up and that gave you a headache....diagnosing is the hardest part of medicine-that and getting properly reimbused.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom