Back from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip photos can be seen at: Picasa Web Albums - Fred - Bonaire Janua...#

Saturday,
We reported for our 5:45 AM flight out of O'Hare, however the plane didn't leave until after 7 which put us late in Atlanta so we missed our connecting flight. The captain said the delay was because someone got held up going through security. So they put us on a plane to Houston and then a red-eye to Bonaire. We would arrive Sunday morning in Bonaire at 6:30.

If I can get up at 3 in morning to make it on time why can't everyone? They should have left the guy. Because of this nonsense, several other people also missed their connecting flights in Atlanta. You gotta wonder what these people are thinking (or not) that make these decisions. On the other hand, if the plane in Atlanta could have waited 10 minutes and we would have made it. I cannot count the times I've sat on a plane and waited for other people. One time I'm late (because of no fault of my own) and they have to leave right on time. Thanks Delta for making what should have been about a 7 hour duration into a 25 hour nightmare. OK enough ranting. At least we'll still be in paradise.

Sunday,
We finally made it to Buddy Dive but now they couldn't find our reservation (sigh). So they put us up in a hotel room for a couple hours to shower and come back to life. We're very tired but we are here. In a couple hours the reservation issue was resolved and we were on our way to our studio, room 505. The first thing we did was get groceries while the stores are still open. We managed to do our orientation and first dive at 2:00. Since we didn't get any sleep the night before we decided to call it a day.

Monday through Friday: Eat, Sleep, (Buddy) Dive.

We did a total of nineteen dives. Seventeen where shore dives and two where boat dives. Three of the shore dives were dusk/night dives from Buddy's Reef. The reef was very active, more so than last year when we were there. According to the staff, this was due to the full moon as it was a just few days afterwards. Check out the photos from the link above to see what we saw. These were shot with a Canon 20D with an Ikelite housing and DS-125 strobe. These are unedited and no filters were used.

My wife Tammy has become quit the night diver. The first night when Charley the 5 foot tarpon followed us she was very uncomfortable. But after seeing some tarpon during the daylight hours the following night dives went much better. Now she actually lets go of me and swims independently. Oh you've come a long way. Go Tammy Go!!!

Dive Sites:
Buddy's Reef (dove many times due to convenience)
Calabas (from Carib Inn)
Yellow Submarine
Aquarius
Windsock
Mi Dushi (boat dive - Klein Bonaire)
South Bay (boat dive - Klein Bonaire)

Saturday never a good day when you have to leave. At least all the flights were on time going home.

I took a photo class one half day which was very interesting. John at Buddy's photo shop was very knowledgeable and helpful.

We ate in most of the time. Buddy's breakfast was 15.75 per person and hardly worth it. We did eat at Pasa Bon Pizza once and at Sunset Beach Bar & Grill. Both were very good.

I would recommend Buddy's Dive Resort to anyone but don't expect the Ritz Carlton. For a dive resort, it's more than adequate. The grounds are well kept and the house reef is spectacular. The people are nice and the location was good. We did see that cruise ships came in almost every day. I hope that the little island can withstand it. There was also a huge yacht called the Octopus which was formerly owned by Bill Gates. It was quite impressive. Time to go plan my next trip...

Fred

Fred,

Thanks for the report. I am heading to Bonaire the last week of February. You mentioned you were in Bonaire last year as well. How did the reefs compare to last year, accounting for Omar this past October? I would hate to think some of my favorite sites are covered over in sand...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting a report - too bad about the airline thing, I've been bitten that way before as well.

Thanks also for the link to your photos. I'm curious - what lens, or lenses, were you using? Also, what port(s) did you use?

We are off to Bonaire for the first time in April this year and I plan on shooting a 100mm macro (flat port with focus), a 28mm and a 15mm fisheye (both with a 6" dome) with my 30D (Ikelite housing) and DS-160. I've used this combination in Hawaii twice (Kona and Maui) and was pleased with the results so I'm really looking forward to three weeks on Bonaire... or is that, under Bonaire!

Thanks.

Lee

I'm headed there Feb 7th. What were the water temps? Also did you get over to the wild side? If so how was it? Thanks

Fred,

Thanks for the report. I am heading to Bonaire the last week of February. You mentioned you were in Bonaire last year as well. How did the reefs compare to last year, accounting for Omar this past October? I would hate to think some of my favorite sites are covered over in sand...

Drew,
The reefs looked good. There was some sand in some of the shallow areas where the reef begins but it really wasn't bad at all. Enjoy your trip.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for posting a report - too bad about the airline thing, I've been bitten that way before as well.

Thanks also for the link to your photos. I'm curious - what lens, or lenses, were you using? Also, what port(s) did you use?

We are off to Bonaire for the first time in April this year and I plan on shooting a 100mm macro (flat port with focus), a 28mm and a 15mm fisheye (both with a 6" dome) with my 30D (Ikelite housing) and DS-160. I've used this combination in Hawaii twice (Kona and Maui) and was pleased with the results so I'm really looking forward to three weeks on Bonaire... or is that, under Bonaire!

Thanks.

Lee

Lee
I used the 18-55 mm lens that comes with the camera along with a round dome port since this was all wide angle. I didn't shoot any macro. I'd like to get into some macro but that will have to wait for my next trip. 3 weeks, that's sweet. Unfortunately I could only get away for a week.

Fred

I'm headed there Feb 7th. What were the water temps? Also did you get over to the wild side? If so how was it? Thanks

farsidefan1
The water temp was 81 on every dive. I did not get over to the wild side this trip but it's something I'd really like to do in the future some time.

Fred

Fred, simply amazing to see the abundance and variety of life in Bonaire. Holy cow... to see 3 trumpet fish in a single frame, twice... just amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm headed to Bonaire for the first time at the end of February and booked to stay at Buddy Dive. Since you were just there, do you mind field a few specific questions of have about Buddy Dive?

I'm headed to Bonaire for the first time at the end of February and booked to stay at Buddy Dive. Since you were just there, do you mind field a few specific questions of have about Buddy Dive?

My husband and I have used Buddy Dive as our dive shop on each of our five trips to Bonaire. We've never stayed at their resort, but we love the convenience of their drive-thru tank service. It's great! If you want, I can try to answer any questions you have pertaining to the dive shop.

Thanks for the trip report & photos, WaterWolf.

Fred, simply amazing to see the abundance and variety of life in Bonaire. Holy cow... to see 3 trumpet fish in a single frame, twice... just amazing! Thanks for sharing. I'm headed to Bonaire for the first time at the end of February and booked to stay at Buddy Dive. Since you were just there, do you mind field a few specific questions of have about Buddy Dive?

Josh,
No problem. I'd be happy to answer any questions I can. You can send me a private message if you like or just ask away on this post.

Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom