Back from Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ironworker377

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from Cancun and I dove with M.A.D. Very glad I took your guys advice and dived with them. They just happened to be set-up next door at the Royal Islander.

First Day was pretty bad for me as I was not ready for the swells and ended up getting real sick and even threw-up underwater:shakehead: Not a fun day.

Second day I was picked up by the very hot DM Maricela. Took plenty on meds to fight the sea sickness on this day. Arrive at the dock and realize that only two of us are going to have the boat to ourselves. How often would any other dive operation do something like that? We went to the Grampin site and seen lots of life down there and seen my first shark (nurse shark). I surfaced by myself after 50 mins due to the other guy having good airtime and came up about 100 yards from Isidro. He did not see me right away so I busted out my SMB and my whistle. Surprised during all my dives nobody really carry's an SMB and whistles with their own set-ups. I guess I looked weird to them with all my gear attached to my plate set-up. All in all I would say it was a good day.

Third day Alvaro took us out to Chac Mool Cenote. We where the first ones there and and had other groups show up after us. When we hit the the water there where 3 groups getting ready. When we finished and came back to the truck 2 of the groups where already drying off and setting up for the next dive. Alvaro was a great DM and tries to get the most out of the dive and told us most ops only keep you down for 30-40 mins max no matter how much air you have. We where down for 52 mins and came up a very little over a 3rd of the tank (1100 psi) like he says is the standard for cave diving. Cenotes are really something to dive at least once in your lifetime. Second dive was pretty interesting since the other diver followed the wrong group and turned left instead of right. Alvaro told me to wait where I was since I was close to the surface and he went to search for the lost diver. He found him right away since it was pretty obvious since we noticed him missing after we crossed the other group. We surfaced right after that with 40 mins of dive time.

Fourth day we was the wreck dive and was lead by Ben. We seen a grouper that had to be at least 4-5' big. We penetrated the wreck and that was something different for me since I never did something like that. That was a good dive. Second dive was the best dive of my trip in terms of life. Seen a nurse shark, moray eel, and a turtle feeding at the bottom and some of the biggest and most colorful parrot fish (at least 2') I have ever seen. Man you can totally hear those guys chewing up the coral.

Overall I really enjoyed my whole trip and will be going to dive with MAD again. I did notice on the other boats they had 10 or more divers on them and glad I dove with a boat with 2 and 5 instead of the 10+. Plus the MAD boat did look nicer then some of the ones I seen and it had way more shade then the others.

I am heading down to cancun in March 08. Looking for a dive center, right now i am looking at manta divers any help would be nice.
Jim

Glad you had fun..What wild life did you see? Any sharks?

I am heading down to cancun in March 08. Looking for a dive center, right now i am looking at manta divers any help would be nice.
Jim

I just got back from Cancun and would strongly recommend Mayan Aqua Dive.. If you want a very personalized professional experience Ben and his staff are what your looking for. Feel free to PM if you want more info.
Lee

Hey there, Ironman!

Sounds like you had a great time. You even got to try chumming through your reg! Not very many people get to do that! :D

Cenotes are the best! Never dove with Alvaro, but did the cenotes with Isidro. MAD is a great op. Fast boat, great staff and pick up at the hotel is really nice.

Finally, someone else agrees with me about Marcella....Caliente!

That is one experience I do not want the pleasure of doing again.:shakehead: Not some club I'm proud to belong to.

Hi Jim.
My name is Alvaro Gonzalez. I am PADI Instructor (OWSI 169884 and CMAS P3-MEX-2891) and I would like to give you some options for diving in Cancun, and surroundings. We can offer you very special divings, with a personalized service and the most amazing places to have fun and unforgetable experiences. We can make you a personal diving plan, during your vacations. For example, we have diving trips in Cancun reefs, where you can find a lot of sea life, wreck diving or we can take you diving in Playa del Carmen where you can see at least 15 turtles (guaranteed, if we don`t, we give your money back), or go to Cozumel, and visit Palancar Wall, one of the most famous in the world. We are also experts in Cenote dives, (not Cave dive) which is an amazing experience this is a dive with no current, no waves and visibility 500 ft (For real). under the surface, we have more than 10 different cenotes to dive and they are around 50 min. from Cancun. We included transportation, gear, and lunch.
You can know more about us visiting our web site alwaysdiving.com // BUCEO PROFESIONAL - PROFESSIONAL SCUBA DIVING // BIENVENIDO - WELCOME or send us an e-mail to alvaro@alwaysdiving.com or chila9@prodigy.net.mx and contact us. I am sure we are the best option.
Alvaro

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom