Back from First Trip To Cozumel!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmitchell6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, just got back from my first trip ever to Cozumel and boy was it an incredible experience. By not freaking out about the Swine Flu and being from New York City, I had a choice, stay here and get sick or go to Cozumel and get sick. Hmm...let me think about that one, ok done! Personally, I would rather get sick in paradise than to stay here and get sick, just my preference, my choice. First of all, I was under the impression that the cruise ships were allowed to dock, well when I got there last week, that wasn't the case, they still were not allowed to dock. The city was like a ghost town, great for divers, but I really felt sorry for the economy. At times, I was the only one eating in the restaurant.

What really amazed me was meeting people and telling them this was my first trip ever, well I got responses like "this is my 6th, 7th, 21st or 26th time here. Wow, I was the new kid on the block. They all said you'll love it and you know what? That should tell you something about Cozumel. They were right! Where else could you go in the world and find great diving (which I will get to in a second), great food, wonderful, beautiful people and on-top of all that, inexpensive prices. Yes, you could stay at an all inclusive and never come out of your safety blanket, but you'll be missing people who are proud of their heritage/culture.

Now about the diving! I dove with Blue XT (Christi's operation). The kindest group of DM's this side of the planet. Diving with Pedro, what a character, his love of what scuba diving means to him shows, Aturo, who taught me the meaning of "take your time", increased my bottom time from an average of 32 minutes (I'm a new air hog), to almost 1 hour, and Ramone, who is like a gisselle in the water, just watching and observing them was an experience all it's own. Christi has put together an ensemble of vets unmatched on the island (ok, so I haven't dove with any others ops there, so maybe there are better, but for me, they gave me an incredible experience). As for accommodations, I stayed at the Blue Angel Resort (formerly Caribe Blu). This hotel was nothing like their website, in reality, the hotel, as advertised, was better than what the website describes. I was like, "this is not what I expected"! The changes there are happening for the better largely due to the new owner Eva. After speaking with her for almost an hour upon arrival, she gave me the complimentary A welcoming drink? it could have been water, soda or an alcoholic beverage, well I went for the alcohol. It was so a pleasant welcoming, that after an hour I realized my bags were still with me and I haven't even gotten to my room. She wants every guest to feel comfortable and she's not satisfied if you're not. Her personality exudes down to her staff. They all made me feel very very welcomed. And the guests, like I stated above, were all repeaters, I don't think I met anyone who was experiencing their first visit. That tells you about the place. I wanted to go where the divers go and met some of the nicest people. They also have a dive shop that I did have the opportunity to dive with (Drift Dive Certificate), I dove with Matt, the Blue Angel Dive Shop instructor. What the heck in the water there? He was awesome. Another human who has grown gills. He made my day when he complimented me on my diving skills (being a newbie and only 50 dives under my belt)!

So how was my first visit to Cozumel? Will I go back! What do you think?

Another Cozaholic for sure, and for exactly the same reasons most of became one. Before your first stay comes to an end you're already planning another visit. And you are right, the locals are amazingly friendly & really enjoy sharing their island with us, and we need to help keep it the that way by respecting that it is their home.

Glad to hear your had a great trip. We could only make it over for one day in March and that was enought to hook us. Already planning a trip back for Coz only this fall.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at "my" hotel. My family has been staying there since 1982 through 4 owners, and I can't imagine staying anywhere else! Eva and Jeanie are real gems, aren't they? I was just there myself (May 2-13); did we overlap?

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at "my" hotel. My family has been staying there since 1982 through 4 owners, and I can't imagine staying anywhere else! Eva and Jeanie are real gems, aren't they? I was just there myself (May 2-13); did we overlap?

:blinking:Well now you tell me! Looks like I have to plan another trip to Cozumel after the one coming up, so I can take advantage of "your" hotel. It sounds great.

BTW: Enjoyed the music samples of your band!! Ya'll look pretty kewl too.

This always brings a smile to my face!

1. Do you lose time from work due to going to Cozumel?
2. Is your constant talking about diving Cozumel making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you go to Cozumel because you are shy with other people?
4. Are trips to Cozumel affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after returning from Cozumel?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of trips to Cozumel?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when vacationing in Cozumel?
8. Does your fixation on Cozumel make you careless of your family's welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since going to Cozumel?
10. Do you crave a dive in Cozumel at a definite time of day?
11. Do you want a dive in Cozumel the next morning?
12. Does thinking about your next trip to Cozumel cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since returning from Cozumel?
14. Are trips to Cozumel jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you go to Cozumel to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you dive Cozumel alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of diving Cozumel?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for diving Cozumel?
19. Do you brag about your trips to Cozumel to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of diving Cozumel?

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be a Cozumelaholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are a Cozumealholic.
If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely a Cozumealholic.
(Apologies to Robert V. Seliger, MD, Johns Hopkins University Hospital.)

This always brings a smile to my face!

1. Do you lose time from work due to going to Cozumel?
2. Is your constant talking about diving Cozumel making your home life unhappy?
3. Do you go to Cozumel because you are shy with other people?
4. Are trips to Cozumel affecting your reputation?
5. Have you ever felt remorse after returning from Cozumel?
6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties as a result of trips to Cozumel?
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when vacationing in Cozumel?
8. Does your fixation on Cozumel make you careless of your family's welfare?
9. Has your ambition decreased since going to Cozumel?
10. Do you crave a dive in Cozumel at a definite time of day?
11. Do you want a dive in Cozumel the next morning?
12. Does thinking about your next trip to Cozumel cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
13. Has your efficiency decreased since returning from Cozumel?
14. Are trips to Cozumel jeopardizing your job or business?
15. Do you go to Cozumel to escape from worries or trouble?
16. Do you dive Cozumel alone?
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of diving Cozumel?
18. Has your physician ever treated you for diving Cozumel?
19. Do you brag about your trips to Cozumel to build up your self-confidence?
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution on account of diving Cozumel?

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be a Cozumelaholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are a Cozumealholic.
If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely a Cozumealholic.
(Apologies to Robert V. Seliger, MD, Johns Hopkins University Hospital.)

I think I have this..what is the treatment? I guess a trip back to Cozumel next month :)

KR Bailey,

That was priceless. Kinda puts things in perspective.

"Now where is that darn frequent flyer card?" she mutters to herself once again. "Somebody find my gosh darn frequent flyer card now." Her agitation is growing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom