Back inflate BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the Zeagle BCDs. I use my Zeagle Stiletto with 7mm wetsuit in the winter and with only a rash guard in the summer. If you search this board you will find a lot of Zeagle fans.

The Hydros looks cool and I'm sure works great but I've read a lot of posts on hear about problems with durability. Scubapro may have corrected this but I would continue to do research before purchasing one.

I dive with 7mm wetsuit/drysuit in my home country and mainly shorties abroad. If the BCD covers both scenarios that would be preferable.

I am not looking at an expensive BCD for the sake of it. More focused in:

-Integrated weights (part with quick release but not all of it)
-1-2 pockets (for snorkel and eventually small light)
-Enough lift for shell drysuit with undergarments and 7lbs lead
-Back inflatable

In this case,

1. Hydros

2. Seahawk

3. Ranger LT.

:)

...Scubaboard is sort of a BP/W crowd, so you might throw in why you don't like those.

I was with you up this point....Should read "some people on Scubaboard are sort of a BPW crowd"... and explaining why he doesn't want a BPW would just start the usual bickering. Better off not to go there.

But yes, it is hard to make a "best" suggestion without knowing what is important to someone, what they really want and don't want, etc.

I think the BCDs mentioned will do most types of diving just fine, but the best BCD for you depends on you. Where do you plan to do most of your diving? What kind of exposure protection would you like it to work with? What BCD have you used so far and how is it not to your liking? Is there a way for you to try out different BCDs so you can see how you like them? Is cost an issue at all? Scubaboard is sort of a BP/W crowd, so you might throw in why you don't like those.

I was with you up this point....Should read "some people on Scubaboard are sort of a BPW crowd"... and explaining why he doesn't want a BPW would just start the usual bickering. Better off not to go there.

But yes, it is hard to make a "best" suggestion without knowing what is important to someone, what they really want and don't want, etc.

My point was really not to enter in a BWP discussion, that is why I was trying to find options, excluding BWP.

You might like the Scubapro Knighthawk. It has enough lift for cold water diving in a drysuit or 8/7 semi-dry, it is a back inflate, integrated weights...There is 1 roll-down pocket and when not in use or rolled down, you can't tell that it has pockets. I have the women's version (the Ladyhawk).

People rave about the Hydros Pro but it's crazy $ and people have had issues with it breaking on the strap.

My only strong personal feelings are that I am not a fan of Aqua Lung's integrated weight system. I have assisted with many classes and have seen others on trips with me that have accidentally lost these because they come out way too easily without them tugging. They also do not easily snap in when a lot of weight is in it or the weight itself will cause it to come undone. I believe part of it to be a design issue because the locking mechanism is deep within the pocket so it's difficult to ensure that it's in place and can easily be undone with a slight tug (or not!). Since you will be doing cold water diving and will likely have more weight, you will experience accidental dropping more so than in warm water diving because of the weight itself. (I've mostly observed this happening in cold water.) I'd rather have something that takes a very purposeful motion to be removed rather than something that will come out unexpectedly on accident. I've seen it one too many times to be able to recommend it to people.

Wear it and try to do it before you decide. Other BCs with integrated weights, such as Scubapro, have a much better design with a large male and female clip. Inserting and removing weights are a very purposeful event and I have not experienced or witnessed someone losing their weights or pockets because of this. There is a visual and very audible confirmation that it is secure when put in place. The same goes for removal.

I would also suggest not purchasing the i3 inflation system, though convenient, due to serviceability. It's best to go with something that can easily be repaired when you are away from your home dive shop or while traveling. A traditional inflator hose....

Go try a few on, see what fits you best, and then step back and decide. If you end up loving an Aqua Lung i3 integrated weight BC the best, so be it..!

Last edited:
I just got out of a jacket in to a wing, so happy never going back
Scubapro X-TEK DONUT WING, W/ BPI, BLACK, 18KG/40LBS

You might like the Scubapro Knighthawk. It has enough lift for cold water diving in a drysuit or 8/7 semi-dry, it is a back inflate, integrated weights...There is 1 roll-down pocket and when not in use or rolled down, you can't tell that it has pockets. I have the women's version (the Ladyhawk).

People rave about the Hydros Pro but it's crazy $ and people have had issues with it breaking on the strap.

My only strong personal feelings are that I am not a fan of Aqua Lung's integrated weight system. I have assisted with many classes and have seen others on trips with me that have accidentally lost these because they come out way too easily without them tugging. They also do not easily snap in when a lot of weight is in it or the weight itself will cause it to come undone. I believe part of it to be a design issue because the locking mechanism is deep within the pocket so it's difficult to ensure that it's in place and can easily be undone with a slight tug (or not!). Since you will be doing cold water diving and will likely have more weight, you will experience accidental dropping more so than in warm water diving because of the weight itself. (I've mostly observed this happening in cold water.) I'd rather have something that takes a very purposeful motion to be removed rather than something that will come out unexpectedly on accident. I've seen it one too many times to be able to recommend it to people.

Wear it and try to do it before you decide. Other BCs with integrated weights, such as Scubapro, have a much better design with a large male and female clip. Inserting and removing weights are a very purposeful event and I have not experienced or witnessed someone losing their weights or pockets because of this. There is a visual and very audible confirmation that it is secure when put in place. The same goes for removal.

I would also suggest not purchasing the i3 inflation system, though convenient, due to serviceability. It's best to go with something that can easily be repaired when you are away from your home dive shop or while traveling. A traditional inflator hose....

Go try a few on, see what fits you best, and then step back and decide. If you end up loving an Aqua Lung i3 integrated weight BC the best, so be it..!
@outofofficebrb and I agree on some things. I've had a Knighthawk for many years, it's a fine BC. The roll down pocket is easy to use. The weight release system is foolproof. I also have a Aqualung Outlaw. Nice BC but I dislike the weight pockets. The locking mechanism is entirely hidden and not always easy to engage. I fear releasing the weights with an inapparent pull on the handle. The Aqualung weight system is inferior.

Sorry for the poor phrasing. Scubaboard is sort of a BP/W crowd Many individuals on Scubaboard are fans of BP/W and like to share their enthusiasm. I don't think your requirements are too limiting, so is there a local shop that carries any of those suggested?

I have the non-i3 Aqualung Dimension and I love it - although I think that mainly you love your own BCD regardless of brand and style because it fits properly and you learn where everything is (we have a Zeagle Ranger and a Mares Kaila in our house as well and their respective owners love them despite all 3 being very different BCDs).

I can see why you would get that impression with the weight pockets, it does take a while to get used to getting them in. However, they do make a very positive click when they are locked, and I haven't had any problems with them coming out with up to 8lbs in each pocket (although I'm down to 4lbs per pocket now - 60-70F, 5mm wetsuit). That they do take time to get used to is perhaps a negative in some ways, but all new gear has a learning curve.

I looked at the i3 version and it seemed that people who owned it liked it, but it just seemed like so much to go wrong, so I got my LDS to order in the one without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom