Back problem has me out of commission...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A couple of weeks ago I was stretching in bed and experienced a sudden onset of severe pain in my upper back. This progressed within 24 hours to include pain in my right arm, numbness in my hand, hyeraesthesia of the arm, as well as some muscle weakness. Well, two trips to the ER, one MRI denied by insurance, and one consult with a orthopedics PA later and the net result is no diving for me for a while.

I had to put off my Cavern/Intro class which has me really bummed. Thank goodness this happened three days after my Galapagos trip, which was fabulous.

With the neuro signs I may well be looking at surgery sooner rather than later. We'll see, the rescheduled (and hopefully covered) MRI is this Wednesday. With the help of various rx meds the pain is controlled enough for me to be able to function, if not at 100%. The neuro signs persist though.

Does anyone have experience with recovery time for similar problems, either as a patient or physician? As in when I might expect to dive again? I'd be interested to hear about it both with surgery and without. I know this might vary greatly and I don't have a diagnosis yet, but I'd at least like to dream about when I might be able to get back in the water. :depressed:

Last edited:
If this is a cervical disc, I can tell you a friend had a fusion done and was back in the water in about six months. He had a good result from the surgery.

I had a L3/L4 and L4/L5 laminectomy back in May and went diving earlier this month. I was cleared for diving in August but wanted to build back a little more strength and flexibility before getting back in the water. Did not have any hardware installed though so I'd guess YMMV if they install hardware.

I also had a L4/L5 Laminectomy, well before I was into diving, so I cant comment on that aspect. I can only say that I am so glad that I did it; everyone has horror stories about "the cousin of the friend of a friend" who ended up in a wheelchair after a similar OP, but it made a world of difference to me, and that was more that 20 years ago; I'm sure the technology now is even better. The recovery was nothing compared to the months of pain preceding the operation.

I had two cervical discectomies with fusion and plating two years apart. I was back in the water within six months, actually cleared within four months.

The only recurring problem is a reduction in the range of motion due to the plate.

I had a L3/L4 and L4/L5 laminectomy back in May and went diving earlier this month. I was cleared for diving in August but wanted to build back a little more strength and flexibility before getting back in the water. Did not have any hardware installed though so I'd guess YMMV if they install hardware.

I had a similar surgery last July, which also included removing floating fragments. Had to be done immediately, because I also suffered from Drop Foot. Without surgery, they warned me that my gait would be permanently affected. Believe it or not, my surgeon cleared me dive by August, just in time for lobster season. But for the first several months, I had to have my gear brought to me, sitting on the platform so that I could roll into the water, without bearing the weight of the equipment on my back. Then, at the end of the dive, I would inflate and doff my gear in water, so that I could myself back up the ladder. Thankfully, that was short-lived. But I am still doing beach dives with a smaller, lighter AL 67, to avoid putting any additional strain on my back.

I also believe that switching to a frog kick has helped to stretch out my muscles and strengthen my back. I'm feeling better and stronger every day.

A couple of weeks ago I was stretching in bed and experienced a sudden onset of severe pain in my upper back. This progressed within 24 hours to include pain in my right arm, numbness in my hand, hyeraesthesia of the arm, as well as some muscle weakness. Well, two trips to the ER, one MRI denied by insurance, and one consult with a orthopedics PA later and the net result is no diving for me for a while.

With the neuro signs I may well be looking at surgery sooner rather than later. We'll see, the rescheduled (and hopefully covered) MRI is this Wednesday. With the help of various rx meds the pain is controlled enough for me to be able to function, if not at 100%. The neuro signs persist though.

Does anyone have experience with recovery time for similar problems, either as a patient or physician? As in when I might expect to dive again? I'd be interested to hear about it both with surgery and without. I know this might vary greatly and I don't have a diagnosis yet, but I'd at least like to dream about when I might be able to get back in the water. :depressed:

NOOOOOO!!!!! Stay away from surgery as long as you can!

I have 1 severely, 3 moderately degenerated cervical spine discs. I have no L5-S1 disk, and the L4-L5 is only pretending to be there. The rest of the lumber discs are severely to moderately degenerated. I'm telling you this because you CAN go on without surgery. If you get surgery, there is a really question as to how that affects the rest of your spine . . . in my case, it will wear out the other discs even faster. I will always have fusion as an option, but I choose to put it off.

First - find out why your insurance denied MRI - they are bu**holes. Ask about a CAT scan and referral to a neurologist. However, if your xrays showed only a bulging disc, you are completely recoverable! Count your blessings!

There are HUNDREDs of exercises designed to strengthen your core muscles which keep your spine in alignment. RESEARCH! Don't go for all these "fix it quick" BSings. You need to strengthen your core muscles, and use rest and anti-inflammatories for the disc. ASK for physical theropy.

Ask your ortho guy to go over your Xrays until YOU thoroughly understand them. Too many people blindly go forward into whatever treatment is offered.

Laminectomy - this is where they cut off the bulging area of the disk. Think about a jelly donut. The 'donut' is some tough stuff, where the 'jelly' allows sliding, slipping, twisting, etc. Think of a Dr Scolls gel thingy. If you beat the 'holy bajeezus' out of the gel thingy with hammer, it won't be so cushioning, will it? This is what lots of running, jumping out of planes, etc. do to you. By the way, if you have extra weight, LOSE IT! No more excuses. Just lose it.

Anyway, use your hand to squish a jelly donut. If the inside jelly comes out, YIKES! (That's me, BTW). The part of the donut that extends beyond your hand is like the part of your disc that has bulged against the spinal cord. Are you sure you want them to cut that off? Talk to a neurologist before you decide anything.

Frankly, I am in pain every day, but ibuprofen with occasional narcotics handles it. My Neuro put me on "do the back stroke for one hour every day, without fail". #$%^&, but that is not you. However, it is good exercise and I recommend it.

How do I know? in June, the VA put three 8" needles in my discs. They start inserting about 6" away, on the left side of my back, and put the needles into the discs. They insert dye in each, to see which one makes me scream loudest, all without anesthesia. (NOT J/K) What this did was let me know exactly which discs were contributing to my pain load (two, so I am not a good candidate for disc replacement).

Get rid of BC integrated weights! You do not need that pulling down on your shoulders.

Seriously - take charge of your body, your treatment. Search on words like "discography", "discogram", and "laminectomy". Your doctors may be experts in medicine, but YOU are an expert in YOU!

[/soapbox off]

My injury went the other way (down into leg instead of up into arm), but might be similar set of circumstances.

I experienced an inflamed sciatic nerve ending, which manifested itself in the loss of approximately 40% of the strength in my left leg (prior to the injury I was running five miles, two or three times a week).

MRI confirmed it, and steriods, muscle relaxers, and pain killers helped. This happened in early October, with a dive trip planned for December. I entered physical therapy, going twice a week, with some take-home instructions as well. By Thanksgiving, I was back to about 90% strength, my limp was less noticeable, but still unable to resume running. I consulted with my therapist about two weeks prior to the late December dive trip, and they checked my strength and dexterity very closely. My biggest concern was climbing the ladder back into the boat, especially in those situations where I wasn't passing my BC up, and climbing with it on my back instead.

Now a little over a year later, leg is still at about 97%, outside of that foot will be perpetually numb, and running is still not an option, although long walks have helped some. I was really fearing surgery on my back, as I am sure you are, as well. Hopefully yours will respond to drugs and therapy, as well. Good luck on your diagnosis and recovery.

Now a little over a year later, leg is still at about 97%, outside of that foot will be perpetually numb, and running is still not an option, although long walks have helped some. I was really fearing surgery on my back, as I am sure you are, as well. Hopefully yours will respond to drugs and therapy, as well. Good luck on your diagnosis and recovery.

BTW - if anyone tells you your nerve damage - this assumes DAMAGE from the pressure, not just the action of the pressure - will heal in less than Two Years, dump that guy/gal and find another.

ibj40 - you hang in there. Try the back stroke - flutter kick only - it did a lot to strengthen the helping muscles. Also, any theropy exercises they give you. Forget running - you can get your areobics through swimming. You don't need to pound your spine any more. And don't give up on the numbness going away. It does take two years for nerves to heal.

Best of luck to you both!

NOOOOOO!!!!! Stay away from surgery as long as you can!

I have 1 severely, 3 moderately degenerated cervical spine discs. I have no L5-S1 disk, and the L4-L5 is only pretending to be there. The rest of the lumber discs are severely to moderately degenerated. I'm telling you this because you CAN go on without surgery. If you get surgery, there is a really question as to how that affects the rest of your spine . . . in my case, it will wear out the other discs even faster. I will always have fusion as an option, but I choose to put it off.

First - find out why your insurance denied MRI - they are bu**holes. Ask about a CAT scan and referral to a neurologist. However, if your xrays showed only a bulging disc, you are completely recoverable! Count your blessings!

The MRI was initially denied because a CT was not ordered first, there was no 4-6 week treatment plan for meds and PT, and the ER made no mention of neurologic deficits (even though I described them at least a couple of times). The orthopedist PA said it will likely be covered this time. The rads showed only mild degeneration. A bulging disc was not evident, but these are not always radiographically apparent.

There are HUNDREDs of exercises designed to strengthen your core muscles which keep your spine in alignment. RESEARCH! Don't go for all these "fix it quick" BSings. You need to strengthen your core muscles, and use rest and anti-inflammatories for the disc. ASK for physical theropy.

Always a good idea, and I just happen to have a very good PT in the family.

Ask your ortho guy to go over your Xrays until YOU thoroughly understand them. Too many people blindly go forward into whatever treatment is offered.

Laminectomy - this is where they cut off the bulging area of the disk. Think about a jelly donut. The 'donut' is some tough stuff, where the 'jelly' allows sliding, slipping, twisting, etc. Think of a Dr Scolls gel thingy. If you beat the 'holy bajeezus' out of the gel thingy with hammer, it won't be so cushioning, will it? This is what lots of running, jumping out of planes, etc. do to you. By the way, if you have extra weight, LOSE IT! No more excuses. Just lose it.

Well, I am a veterinarian and have better than average understanding of radiographic interpretation and the mechanics of disc protrusion, but thanks for your explanation. I've assisted in several laminectomies. I think this puts me in a position to make a good treatment choice.

I am planning on seeking a second opinion from a neurosurgeon. However, one of my main concerns is the numbness in my right hand. I need full sensitivity in order to perform surgery and do my job. I am worried that the longer the neuro deficits go on, the less likely they can be fixed.

Re. the weight loss and exercise thing, yes this is something I need to work on. One of frustrating things is that prior to this, I had actually been on a roll working out lately and had built up a good momentum to get in better shape.

Anyway, use your hand to squish a jelly donut. If the inside jelly comes out, YIKES! (That's me, BTW). The part of the donut that extends beyond your hand is like the part of your disc that has bulged against the spinal cord. Are you sure you want them to cut that off? Talk to a neurologist before you decide anything.

Frankly, I am in pain every day, but ibuprofen with occasional narcotics handles it. My Neuro put me on "do the back stroke for one hour every day, without fail". #$%^&, but that is not you. However, it is good exercise and I recommend it.

Sorry to hear about your issues, seems like it's an all too common problem. I use an NSAID during the day, and a narcotic and muscle relaxant at night as there is simply no comfortable sleeping position.

How do I know? in June, the VA put three 8" needles in my discs. They start inserting about 6" away, on the left side of my back, and put the needles into the discs. They insert dye in each, to see which one makes me scream loudest, all without anesthesia. (NOT J/K) What this did was let me know exactly which discs were contributing to my pain load (two, so I am not a good candidate for disc replacement).

Get rid of BC integrated weights! You do not need that pulling down on your shoulders.

No issue here, I use a BP/W (or will again, someday).

Seriously - take charge of your body, your treatment. Search on words like "discography", "discogram", and "laminectomy". Your doctors may be experts in medicine, but YOU are an expert in YOU!

You would make a terrific patient advocate. Too many people do just "go with the flow" when it comes to medical decisions without a true understanding of what's going on.

[/soapbox off]

Thanks again.
Lilla

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom