Back to the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPDenny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son and I have stayed at Amy Slate's and the Marriot Beach Resort on two trips to Key Largo.
We are both fairly new with about 20 dives. I'm looking for suggestions on places to stay, and dive operations we should try next. I was not really impressed by the Marriot and the extra charge to use the swimming pool, but I liked Amy Slate's, it is not fancy, but all about diving. We have gone out with Seadwellers, Amy Slate's & Ocean Divers (Emocean at the time) they were all good, but maybe thinking about a smaller boat this time.
Suggestions?

I usually stay in florida city and drive to key largo in the morning, I've done most of my dives in key largo with horizon divers. I would recommend them if your are comfortable Diving with your son without any professional supervision as they don't usually put a DM in the water.

For a small boat operator, try Queiscence, they only run six backs.

The following operate big boats but all have interesting twists......

Rainbow Reef: free guides. Lots of young enthusiastic staff who are in the instructor training program.

Conch Republic: goes to interesting sites other don't hit as often like Conch Wall and other deep reefs. They also hit the Eagle wreck regularly. Great staff

Islamorada Dive Ctr: they also include guides and go to sites very very few operators hit like Crocker Deep

I'm a big fan of Rainbow Reef, and they are next door to Courtyard by Marriott. You can walk to the shop and boats in less than two minutes.
I see your from Tulsa, I lived in Claremore for almost eight years.

I'm a big fan of Rainbow Reef, and they are next door to Courtyard by Marriott. You can walk to the shop and boats in less than two minutes.
I see your from Tulsa, I lived in Claremore for almost eight years.

I grew up in Claremore from first grade to freshman year of high school, still a nice small town.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Lots of good midwest divers coming to visit Key Largo! Hope you have a great time @JPDenny ! I second the Rainbow Reef recommendation. It's always nice to have a guide in the water to show you the sites and sights :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom