Back trim pocket weight question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So before I go out with my new BC (SP Knighthawk) I was wondering if there are any "standard" practices for using the back weight pockets. I know a good starting point for total weight is around 10% of your body weight, but is there anything out there saying what percentage should go in the trim pouches for back inflate BC's, or is it just a trial and error thing?

Thanks, as always, everyone!

The trim pockets are for biasing some weight higher on your body. Consider yourself to be a see saw as you fine tune your trim. I prefer to wear all of my weight on a belt or harness with only weight required to correct my trim up in the back pockets.

Be sure to do good weight checks periodically and don't rely on any rules of thumb.

Pete

I find around a 60/40 ratio is a good place to start with 40% in the rear but in the end it's going to be trial and error to get it right.
I have issues with the 10% amount. With no wetsuit that is way over what I find is really needed. 5% is closer and for myself around 2.5% is fairly close to correct. When adjusting for a wetsuit it's better to get an actual value for the wetsuit than to use some guestimate like 10%. Take your wetsuit to a pool with a handfull of weights, submerge it getting all the air out of it then start adding weights until it sinks. Add that weight to whatever you need for your body.

Do what it takes to achieve horizontal trim. For recreational purposes, warm water, I have all of my weight in the plate (5 lbs) and trim pockets, no belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom