Backpack scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

i am am going away backpacking to Thailand , Indonesia and australia in July i am looking to spend a month in each place . While im there i am hoping to dive as much as i can to see all there is to be seen.

I was thinking of taking my suunto d4i novo computer , aqualung supreme lx legend regs, and some aqualung hotshot travel fins and a mask , aswell as all my other travel gear clothes and toiletries etc.

Does anyone have an idea on what sort of bag best suits this as i have been looking at the tortuga v2 backpack but i havent seen any bag specifically desinged for diving while backpacking .

also any opinions on what im taking would be great

thanks in advance

kyle.

Hi all,

i am am going away backpacking to Thailand , Indonesia and australia in July i am looking to spend a month in each place . While im there i am hoping to dive as much as i can to see all there is to be seen.

I was thinking of taking my suunto d4i novo computer , aqualung supreme lx legend regs, and some aqualung hotshot travel fins and a mask , aswell as all my other travel gear clothes and toiletries etc.

Does anyone have an idea on what sort of bag best suits this as i have been looking at the tortuga v2 backpack but i havent seen any bag specifically desinged for diving while backpacking .

also any opinions on what im taking would be great

thanks in advance

kyle.

I would be inclined to go to Malaysia instead of Thailand at the moment.

You have good gear. Keeping it safe from thieves isn't going to be easy. The backpack you mentioned looks like it might be ok but one with more internal compartments might help you keep some order in the chaos.

R..

If space starts to look tight, you might consider ditching the fins. Even travel fins are relatively bulky, and the only issue you're likely to encounter with rented fins is mediocre fit, which can often be solved with dive socks. If you're snorkeling as well as diving, I'd keep the fins, as you don't want to have to find a dive shop every time you find a cove that looks interesting. Everything else sounds good.

As far as backpacks, I've never seen one designed for backpacking and scuba. You're probably better off with one designed for backpacking rather than one designed for scuba, as the scuba-specific ones I've seen don't look like they'd be comfortable over long distances.

Best of luck on your trip!
James

There's this one. But it's more of a weekend bag IMO. AERIS : Jetpack
Capture.JPG
Jetpack

THIS IS NOT A BAG. Fully packed with a week’s worth of travel friendly gear, no checked bags, under 30lbs... Can your BC do this?

The one size fits all JETPACK combines the comfort of a BC harness with the performance of an adventure-style backpack. BC and backpack clip together for carry-on travel, protecting gear and saving on baggage fees. The backpack detaches for diving, leaving a full-featured BC with 30 lbs lift capacity, weight integration and a custom fit.

Either skip the fins or consider getting some cheap, nasty-looking rubber ones that fit your feet perfectly but can be strapped to the outside of your pack without much worry of attracting thieving fingers. For the rest, I think you can safely store it somewhere inside your pack without having a special bag for any of it.

If the hoses jutting out of the 1st stage are a problem for easy packing, consider bringing duct tape, plenty of spare LP hose o-rings, and a flat wrench. When you're traveling around, break down the 1st stage from all the hoses and seal everything up with the duct tape. Reassemble as needed, secure in the knowledge that you can always replace an o-ring and won't worry about awkward packing and/or shearing off a hose at the 1st stage because your pack flew off the back of some random SE Asian moped taxi.

If you're looking for an actual backpack for your adventures...I cannot recommend something like the Mystery Ranch SATL or (God help you if you ever fill it up) Tactiplane strongly enough. Tough as nails, and doesn't look too expensive unlike some of the fancy Arcteryx, Osprey, or whatever the ultralight crowd are packing these days. Though if you're worried about pack weight, MR is heavy as Hell unless you take a tomahawk to all the extra padding and straps...Arcteryx might be a better choice in that case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom