Backplate compared to Rear Inflate BC ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving a Zeagle Ranger since 1996.

My question is: What are the pro's and con's of using a backplate (with all the parts) as compared to using a rear inflate bc? (such as the Zeagle Ranger)

In other words, are there advantages of the back plate (scuba unit) arrangement that I don't see. I see its componetized, has a scooter strap, the wings size can be altered, my suspision is it is lighter, etc.

Taking nostalgia out of the equation, why do people go in the direction of the backplate?

ps: I use to think the primary reason was for double tanks.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

:scubahelmet:

It's much more customizable, and usually, with one piece harness, one size fits all (after you adjust it, that is).

On the other hand, if you dive with a drysuit and single tank, you can really find the steel plate useful covering your lung area, makes reaching horizontal trim much easier, plus less lead on the belt.

And of course, there's doubles.

The final reason is the coolness factor. :D

If you like new toys, get one, otherwise, no need to go that way if you're happy with your current BC.

My personal reasons are:
Simplicity
Trim, the weight of the SS BP over my lungs helped me greatly with my trim, plus when diving a 7mm I add on 8lbs of weight plates to my DSS BP and I retain excellent trim.
Modularity (I can snap off the wing so everything breaks down for travel)
Streamlining.

Doubles had nothing to do with my decision, I dive a HP100 at home and AL80 when I travel, can't ever see doubles in my future.

I am not following the statement "over my lungs". What exactly does that mean? Does it mean the plate rides higher than a rear inflation bc? It seems my bc covers my lungs, from the rear that is. Just not quite following that.

I understand trim but I dont understand how the plate improves it. The only way to change trim with my Zeagle is to change the amount of weight you carry in the pouches or to alter the weight of the tank. Not meaning to sound dumb but how does the backplate improve trim? I am sure it does, I just dont understand how?

Modularity is a good thing.

I agree that there is more simplicity and more streamlining.

Do not fear :D

What he means by the statement "over my lungs" is that the weight of the backplate is displaced over the back. Aluminum backplates are 2 lbs negative while SS backplates are 6 lbs negative. So...you take more weight off your belt, but you also are not having the weight in a concentrated area, but spread out.

I recommend that you find someone in your area who dives a backplate, and try it out.

Another beauty about the backplate is that the crotch strap in the harness prevents the rig from riding up while you're on the surface, or descending. A BC, I've noticed, is a lot like a PFD at the surface, riding up on your body, and making the dive somewhat unpleasant. Another benefit is that the BC is somewhat fixed, in other words, if you lose or gain weight, and your body changes shape, it's not easily changeable, so you might have to buy a new BC. With the backplate, all you have to do is change the webbing, and you're good to go!

Hope that helps,
Taylor
Vicdiver656

One of the reasons the backplate system is useful is because it's modular - once you have your harness dialed in, you can use the same rig for singles, doubles, scooters, monkey-diving, etc. (however, I usually dive my steel BP for singles, and an AL BP for doubles, so I've essentially purchased twice and don't really make use of the "modularity" benefit).

There's also adjustability - I think nearly anyone can fit into a bc/wing with proper harness size/adjustments. I imagine this simply isn't possible with BCs for some people with extreme body profiles. Another benefit is that you can typically adjust a harness to fit other people if you loan your gear out - but if you get a small BC, your 6'3 friend probably isn't going to fit in it.

A bp/w is also considered to be more streamlined than a typical jacket-bc, though I've seen some very nice back-inflates and wish there were more of those in vacation/resort rental fleets.

Buoyancy is another benefit - a bp/w is negative, maybe a little, maybe by more than 12lb depending on what you have. A bc (side or back inflate) is positive by at least a few pounds, meaning you need to wear more lead. There are a few people here who wear NO extra weight when they dive in the tropics, just a BP, (maybe a wing) and a tank.

I dive a unit that provides the best of both worlds. BP/W owners will poo poo it and BC users will say it floats you face down.

The DiveRite rig is basically a Hog harness (which is what you thread through the holes on a plate) with some extra rings and attachments. It is fully adjustable so when you get older (i.e. bigger) it still fits you. It is eaisier to adjust than a single strap of webbing because you don't have to thread the whole thing to move one loop an inch. It has no plate so it travels lighter than a BP/W. It attaches to a wing system so you get the streamlined, horizontal buoyancy of a wing. It is modular and I think you can convert it to a soft doubles backpack, but I would get a plate if you want to dive doubles so they will be more stable.

Down side is it has more failure points than a single strap of bebbing and it cost more than a single strap of webbing.

I am not following the statement "over my lungs".

I mean that the weight of the BP is over the most bouyant part of my body (the lungs) this improves the weight balance (and thus trim) I get in the water.

I understand trim but I dont understand how the plate improves it. The only way to change trim with my Zeagle is to change the amount of weight you carry in the pouches or to alter the weight of the tank. Not meaning to sound dumb but how does the backplate improve trim? I am sure it does, I just dont understand how?

I will freely admit I have never dove the Zeagle so I can not make a direct comparison, any BC system has (or should have) the ability to move trim weights to the upper part of the BC. I just feel that the SS BP provides this more naturally by placing weight directly where your body wants to float, although if my ass get any bigger this could change :D.

Oh, another advantage is less weight, the padding and material in a BC makes it positive by 2-4lbs, this is more lead you get to carry, maybe a don't care if you boat dive (or dive tropical with little weight to begin with), but appreciated on the hike to the water at La Jolla shores or many of our other dive sites.

Thanks Oside,

The info that most BC's are 2-4 lbs positive is actually something I feel is considerable. I am not a fan of carrying weights. I think from what I have learned today, the back plate is going to find a place in my scuba gear collection.

I must advise the old Zeagle Ranger served me well. I think to be a family owned company, this company has delivered quite impressively. I will not retire it. I just want to consider alternatives that I may like better. Zeagle has a back plate and I will look at it also.

Charleston SC Scuba Club

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom