Backplate compatibility with Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NineGill

Reaction score
Are most backplates compatible with most wings? Specifically I'm looking at using a Deep Sea Supply stainless backplate with Halcyon Eclipse wings, but I'm looking at other combos and would like to know if there is a way to figure this out by reading the descriptions/specifications of each product.

Just off the top of my head, Dave, I would say yes...most plates are compatible with most wings.

An exception might be Tobin's wings. I believe that they will only work with his plates. (I'm sure that Tobin will be along soon to give you the low down.) I do know that his plates will work with the Halcyon Pioneer wings...I have one of his plates and it works fine with mine. It also works well with my Explorer and Agir wings.

Most of the popular combos should work. I don't think anything in the descriptions or specifications of the product will help you much...Pretty much all plates have holes at 11 inch centers and all wings have the same....Tobin's wings being the exception.

I would say that if you have questions about a particular combo you could just ask the maker...or ask one of us, here.

Dave Laws:
Are most backplates compatible with most wings? Specifically I'm looking at using a Deep Sea Supply stainless backplate with Halcyon Eclipse wings, but I'm looking at other combos and would like to know if there is a way to figure this out by reading the descriptions/specifications of each product.
I use a Deep Sea Supply backplate and Halcyon Eclipse wing ... it works very well.

I also use a DSS backplate with an Oxycheq wing ... and a Dive Rite backplate with a DSS wing ... and a FredT plate with a Deep Outdoors wing. Those combos work well too ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Stephen Ash:
An exception might be Tobin's wings. I believe that they will only work with his plates. (I'm sure that Tobin will be along soon to give you the low down).
DSS wings will work with any backplate that has standard 11-inch hole spacing (which is most of them), and it also requires that the backplate has slots for the cam bands, since the wing does not require an STA and therefore uses the backplate to accommodate them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This a very broad question. Do all wings work with all plates etc?

For doubles the answer is yes as far as I know. The one thing that is standard on plates is the 11" spacing for the tank band bolt holes. All plates have atleast one set of holes, some have more than one set for trim adjustments.

If using a Single tank adapter with most single tank wings and plates angain the answer is yes, almost all wings will be compatible with almost all plates, because again the STA uses the holes at !!' centers.

Where there is potentially a problem is when a single wing and plate is to be used without a STA. In this case the camstraps must pass thru slots in both the wing and the plate. These is no standard for the location of these slots in either the wing or the plates. In most cases there is not a problem, but the potential exists.

I am always very reluctant to state anything about other manufacturere's plates. I have no way of being sure that their design has not changed. Remember that untill quite recently many plates did not even have slots for single tank mounting at all. I might have one example of Brand XX plate that works OK, but it might be last years model, version 1.0 etc.

Our single wings have holes at 11 centers, so they can be used with an STA if so desired, and the cam strap slots are 3 inches long, so some range of misalignment is accomodated.

Dave, call me if you wish. 626-799-5078

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Remember that untill quite recently many plates did not even have slots for single tank mounting at all. I might have one example of Brand XX plate that works OK, but it might be last years model, version 1.0 etc.
That is quite so ... I own two Dive Rite plates. One has slots for cam straps, the other doesn't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tobin,

The reason that I wasn't sure about the compatibility of your single wing with other plates is because it 'looks' like the center section of your wing is "cut out", requiring the use of cam bands and wedge blocks. Is this not so? I don't see holes on 11 inch centers...so I don't see how one could use your single with a STA. Add to this that not all plates have cam band slots cut in them and you're left some potential compatibility issues.

I think you need some more pics on your web site showing how your systems fit together...

...maybe you could get a model like that gal on Hammerhead! :D

Stephen Ash:
Tobin,

The reason that I wasn't sure about the compatibility of your single wing with other plates is because it 'looks' like the center section of your wing is "cut out", requiring the use of cam bands and wedge blocks. Is this not so? I don't see holes on 11 inch centers...so I don't see how one could use your single with a STA. Add to this that not all plates have cam band slots cut in them and you're left some potential compatibility issues.

The photos aren't ideal, there are holes at 11" centers.

Stephen Ash:
...maybe you could get a model like that gal on Hammerhead! :D

Not if I want to stay married :D

Tobin

NWGratefulDiver:
I use a Deep Sea Supply backplate and Halcyon Eclipse wing ... it works very well.

I also use a DSS backplate with an Oxycheq wing ... and a Dive Rite backplate with a DSS wing ... and a FredT plate with a Deep Outdoors wing. Those combos work well too ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So do you need to use an STA with the DSS plate/Eclipse wing combo? It's hard to tell from the Halcyon site, but it looks like there isn't a big hole that the cylinder straps can fit through?

If you have to use an STA, how heavy are the unweighted ones? Any recommendations, or are STAs pretty generic?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom