Backplate size questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_otter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the dimensions of the small and medium DSS backplates? Specifically, what is the overall length (15.5" in photo reference) and distance from shoulder strap to top of waist strap (11.5" in photo reference).

My center of gravity is too close to my head, making it annoying to stay trimmed. I've tried loosening my shoulder straps and tightening my crotch strap, which helps, but with curvy hips and a smaller waist, the harness still wants to migrate up to sit around my waist. I'm wondering if the small backplate might be a better fit and might make it easier to move the whole rig lower on my back.

For reference, I am 5'4" (which would put me at a medium) but somewhat short waisted. Have other ladies my height had luck with a small?

Thanks!

What are the dimensions of the small and medium DSS backplates? Specifically, what is the overall length (15.5" in photo reference) and distance from shoulder strap to top of waist strap (11.5" in photo reference).

My center of gravity is too close to my head, making it annoying to stay trimmed. I've tried loosening my shoulder straps and tightening my crotch strap, which helps, but with curvy hips and a smaller waist, the harness still wants to migrate up to sit around my waist. I'm wondering if the small backplate might be a better fit and might make it easier to move the whole rig lower on my back.

For reference, I am 5'4" (which would put me at a medium) but somewhat short waisted. Have other ladies my height had luck with a small?

Thanks!

Quoting plate dimensions is not really the answer. Overall plate length is part of the equation, but where the harness slots are also plays a part. I should point out that the distance from the top slot to the bottom slot isn't really pertinent because the harness passes over the top of the plate. The distance from the top of the plate to the lower harness slots is a more useful dimension.

We typically start thinking about a small plate around 5'3, but 5'4 and short waisted is also reasonable for a small plate. In general (particularly for single tank diving vs doubles) it's easier to fit somebody with a plate that might be slightly too short than too long, another argument in favor of a small for you.

If a plate is tad short, which could place the waist strap across the bottom of the rib cage, it's possible to move it down by lengthening the shoulder straps and tightening the crotch strap. If the plate is too long there are fewer good options.

A DSS medium is 15 inches tall and a Small is 13 1/8 tall. That makes a DSS small about 1 3/8 shorter than the plate in your pictures.

Plate sizing can be a little tricky, but you have the advantage of having a current plate (15.5 Overall) as a reference. Imagine having the top of your current plate where you want it, and the waist strap ~1.3 ~ 1.5 inches higher. If that is still below your lowest rib the DSS Small is likely a better fit.

Tobin

Thanks, that makes perfect sense (and you're right - the upside down measurements don't).

It does sound like the small would probably be a better fit. The base of my rib cage is about 2 to 3" above where I'd really like the waist strap to be. With my current plate, that puts it around my hips, which doesn't work very well. If I move it higher on my back, weight distribution becomes problematic, especially in the drysuit.

Out of curiosity, why is a longer backplate easier to fit with doubles? While there's no first stage directly behind your head, there is still a lot of topheavy valve hardware. It would seem to me that it would be just as hard or harder to properly fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom