backplate wingnut loosening incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll just add another recommendation for Tobin's thumb wheels. The delrin "nuts" are fantastic, comfortable to hand-tighten, and I've never had a problem with them coming loose or cross-threading.

well i just kinda skimmed through but i personaly got rid of the wing nuts and put in normal stainless steel nuts i tighten them with a tool all though i dont take down my doubles all that often i just fill them and dive i found with some back plates the wing nuts will stick out enuff to wear a hole in a drysuit it sucks i have switched to a ss backplate but still use the nuts .and tool tighten them all though you should carry some extra in yu pouch if this is an issue and should be able to take off your gear in the water and replace them i know in my training ive always had to take of gear and replace gear just my 2 cents

Ok...

Here is my conclusion after getting you guys replies and self-test yesterday.

The most frequent incident to loose the wing-nut is on a single with STA. Tobin's single design doens't use STA, so it isn't applicable here.

For the double set, even though you don't use a lock washer, it is less prone to loose the wing nut because

1. The double tank is more stabe on your back. That's it, there is less waggling.
2. If you have a good streamline position (horizontal postion and center gravity...Mostly advanced divers don't have a sudden motion change), there is less chance to give some stress on the bolt and nut part.

However, on the single set,

1.there is more chance to waggle the tank. If you have a thick STA (a big gap between your plate and tank), you have much more chance to give the stress on the bolt and nut.
2. no matter where you have a good streamline, the tanks is put on the STA (nattow/small contact area), so it is more likely to be waggled on a slight postion change.
3. The heavier tanks you are using, the more stress the bot/nut can get.

Based on my test on UW platform (UW dancing... LOL~~~), the lock washer really worked well with a totally loosen wing net (not screw down all the way). However, without a lock washer, it didn't last long.....

My buddies and I have lost the wing-nut only on the single tank dives with 130cf steel tank, not a double tank dives.

Halcyon, Dive Rite, and Hignland are using a lock washer even for a double set like this

gm1038lg.jpg

I wished, but we don't have that many Videographers in Hoosier land... :(

The video housing in on my wish list.....:)

Thanks, Hooser, this kind of explains to me what is sort of happening
hoosier:
However, on the single set,

Based on my test on UW platform (UW dancing... LOL~~~), the lock washer really worked well with a totally loosen wing net (not screw down all the way). However, without a lock washer, it didn't last long.....

gm1038lg.jpg
Now for this pix: These bolts look much longer than mine, so I'm assuming their for doubles. But discounting that, the bolt has 3 flat washers, 1 lock washer, 1 nut, and 1 wingnut - how exactly do I place these on my rig? I mean: right after the bolt head, after the backplate, after the wing, after the STA, or after the strap (before the wingnut)?

reggiehg:
Thanks, Hooser, this kind of explains to me what is sort of happening
Now for this pix: These bolts look much longer than mine, so I'm assuming their for doubles. But discounting that, the bolt has 3 flat washers, 1 lock washer, 1 nut, and 1 wingnut - how exactly do I place these on my rig? I mean: right after the bolt head, after the backplate, after the wing, after the STA, or after the strap (before the wingnut)?

The picture is for a double set... I tried to give some idea how the bolt kit consists.

For a single set,

STA-Plate-Flat Washer (rounder)-Lock Washer (Spring nut)-Wing Nut. That's it.

The nut and washer are another consuming part, so get some extra as a spare. :wink:

thanks garrett....i missed that little point....i will be quiet now........zzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom