Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice solution
But I dislike dangling things when I can avoid.

So my snoot goes in my pocket.
What continues to dangle, though, are the two aperture cards.
I've considered disconnecting them from the snoot - but they're likely to get lost unless I consciously dedicate brain effort into keeping an eye. So they dangle when not in use and occasionally get in the way.
Dangling is not much a problem since I keep the snoot on the strobe 90% of the time. I just tear it off and let it dangle when I want to use the bare strobe for a shot. Then I put it back in place.

I use the snoot even for a lot a wide-angle shots. I use the Inon 330 a fill light for lots of snooted macro shots. I use the snoot for fill light on some close focus wide-angle shots when the Inon is doing the heavy lifting.

Interesting.

Would love to see photos.
As mentioned, I use an Inon strobe for fill light when shooting macro with the BS MF Snoot. I don't love the "spotlight" effect of snoot shots so some fill light from a second strobe on low power provides some dimension without overly emphasizing the background.

Here are a few recent snooted macro shots as examples:

Alki Junkyard February 22, 2023 (138 of 152).jpg

Keystone Jetty February 06, 2023 (32 of 165)-Photoshop.jpg

Sunrise Reef June 11, 2023 (184 of 229)-Photoshop.jpg

I use the Inon Z330 with the Snooty Snoot and have the Backscatter mf2 with snoot. Since I own the Backscatter, I have never used the Z330 anymore for macrophotos. The reason is it's weak pilotlight. The one on the mf2 is way much better.
I never have used the mf2 without snoot, so don't know how it's performing then.

I use the Inon Z330 with the Snooty Snoot and have the Backscatter mf2 with snoot. Since I own the Backscatter, I have never used the Z330 anymore for macrophotos. The reason is it's weak pilotlight. The one on the mf2 is way much better.
I never have used the mf2 without snoot, so don't know how it's performing then.
This is why the BS MF strobes exist and why they are so good. Most traditional stobes have week spotting lights that are off-center, so snooting is very difficult.

As mentioned, I use an Inon strobe for fill light when shooting macro with the BS MF Snoot. I don't love the "spotlight" effect of snoot shots so some fill light from a second strobe on low power provides some dimension without overly emphasizing the background.

Here are a few recent snooted macro shots as examples:
Awesome pics!

This is why the BS MF strobes exist and why they are so good. Most traditional stobes have week spotting lights that are off-center, so snooting is very difficult.
With the Snooty snoot, the light is exactly in the right spot, but it is still weak. It works in murky waters, but not in clear water with a lot of sunlight.

I read you can also use these strobes as ttl, but I really only use strobes in manual modus. Also the inons, only manual.

Is the snoot a must-have? I like the concept of it but man is it gigantic.

Is the snoot a must-have? I like the concept of it but man is it gigantic.
this snoot isn't, and snoot and strobe is super compact

Back
Top Bottom