Backup/daytime light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DGX has the next generation cree emitter so it is a bit brighter and more efficient, but more important it has a bit tighter beam angle which you want to not have to get quite so close to what you are looking at to be able to see it. Physical push buttons are a real problem in dive lights and while the twist ons are quite as intuitive, for a backup light and one that sees regular use they are much more reliable

Can anyone recommend a good light to use as a backup on night dives and to look in nooks and crannies on day dives? I used a Dorcy LED light for this purpose for awhile, but it wound up flooding. . . .

Do you think the flooding is due to some design feature of the Dorcy that isn't present in similar lights? My wife and I both use Dorcys for the purposes you mention, and they've never flooded. Is there some other reason you want something other than another Dorcy? Just curious.

Do you think the flooding is due to some design feature of the Dorcy that isn't present in similar lights? My wife and I both use Dorcys for the purposes you mention, and they've never flooded. Is there some other reason you want something other than another Dorcy? Just curious.

In all likelihood it was user error, but I just want to try something different. My Dorcy was purchased in 2011, and I have to think that CREE/LED technology has advanced since then.

In all likelihood it was user error, but I just want to try something different. My Dorcy was purchased in 2011, and I have to think that CREE/LED technology has advanced since then.

I guess that makes sense if your intent is to get as bright and tight a beam as possible to facilitate daytime use. The Dorcy's beam is more than bright enough for tropical reef night dives--any brighter might be TOO bright for the critters--but for daytime use there are brighter and tighter lights available now.

Sure don't want to take business away from anyone, but I have had both the DGX 600 and the DRIS 1K Shorty. I thought the DRIS was brighter and tighter.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Dive Gear Express DGX600. I used one this past weekend, and A/B'd it against some others that are more money and "more powerful. It is the best $49 I have ever spent, PERIOD. I was blown away at this thing.
They have followed it up with the DGX MAX, same super bright 600 Lumen LED but it now has a magnetic switch (I need to lub the switch ring about every 20 dives). Rechargeable battery and charger included for $49.

Back
Top Bottom