Backup Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kalvyn once bubbled...
I actually found out about these in a post here in this forum:

http://www.buyemp.com/dept.asp?dept_id=1032408

Two for $51.36, including shipping. They work great and fit perfectly out of the way on my harness, just like a Scout! :)

Jimmie

They sure look nice ("Watertight to 2,000 feet." !!!) but... The way i read GUE materials the big deal about Scout is that the lightbulb is not overvolted so it lasts longer than in a usual dive lights (which take advantage of the fact that they are immersed in water=better cooling=can put more current through the bulb) It actually happened to me few times that i used my dive light in air (cheap $20 light) and the lighbulb burned out.

So with the statements like "400% increased candlepower" it rings some warning bells in my head :).

i've looked at that website and they have some sweet flashlights in there, some of them more close to the scout in size/batteries and no clip (that thing looks to me like entanglement hazard :) and most of them are in $20 range :D

correction, looked up the specs online:

The most safety approved flashlight in the world
FM Class I, Div. 2
UL Class I, Div. 1
CSA Class I, Div. 2
MSHA: Tested for use in methane-air mixture only.

Candlepower:12,000
Battery Burntime: 5-6 hrs.
Lamp Life: 30 hours
Size: 7-13/16" in length
Color: Black, Yellow, Orange

5-6 hours burntime, not bad... now, is the replacement lightbulb readilly available? do you know ?

Can the clip be removed from that pelican light?

Princeton Tec makes top quality lights.. they are the primary hand light for caving in the Northeast, where we tend to bash everything to pieces. They are about as durable as anything I've ever seen.

The lights are completely standard and can be found in pretty much any sporting goods store, and sometimes even Wal Mart.

The Tec 40 is a great size, burns for a long time, and is really waterproof.

It's bright enough at 4 watts.. if you're really concerned about burn time you can toss in a lower wattage bulb and get something like 8 or 9 hours burn time.

I've got several Princeton Tec lights. They advertise a good value, and perhaps I'll be satisfied eventually. I bought mine because they were inexpensive. They also leaked. I brought 3 on my last dive vacation. 2 leaked in 65' or less of water. The other (a Tec 20) didn't leak, even on my deepest dive to 117'.

When I got back home, I bought more, but plan to use them camping. I'm sure they'd be great for caving as well. I haven't yet tried to take advantage of their "lifetime waranty" $6 shipping to replace a $12 light hasn't seemed like a great deal. If I get more defestive lights, I think I'll ship them back. (I actually threw out two of the lights before I remembered the warranty. I was a bit peaved when my 500' lights were leaking in 65' of water. It could have spoiled my night dive.)

I keep a couple of the LED "Attitude" lights around because they offer a functional amount of light, and burn a VERY long time on 4 AAA batteries. (Advertise 100 hours... and so far they seem to work until they fill with sea water.) :wink:

Doof once bubbled...
I don't know, to be honest. I left mine on there. I did remove the lanyard, replacing it with a zip-tied ss boltsnap. For what it's worth, I've just replaced the batteries for the first time since I purchased the lights in early February and I've had these lights to 124 fsw with no problems whatsoever.

Jimmie

Doof once bubbled...

yup they can be removed. I took the clips off mine. Just take something with a sharp point and knock the holding pins out, and the clip comes straight off.

Tekkie once bubbled...
Well,
I was looking at something more like this:

Maby the Tektite 50, only 26.00$ on Leisurepro
http://www.tek-tite.com/LED_Light/led_light.html

Or

Maby the Tektite 300, only 51.00$ on Leisurepro
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=972&parentCategory=965&sort=prsdesc

I figure that LEDs can provide 1000's of hours of light and LEDs rarely break from shock. The only draw back is that they don't provide a huge amount of light, but why do you need so much light shouldn't these lights be used to get out in an emergancy. That is just what I was thinking. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am trying to go DIR.

Thanks for all the help.
Tekkie

Actually, the proviced a very large amount of light, but it's not the type of light you could use in an emergency while diving.

I've got an LED light that I now use for camping or taking the dog out. The light is just not focused for diving purposes. It has a very large beam spread, and the backscatter kicks back into your eyes. It is very bright, but not useful for diving.

If they ever find a way to focus it, well.....

detroit diver once bubbled...

Actually, the proviced a very large amount of light, but it's not the type of light you could use in an emergency while diving.

I've got an LED light that I now use for camping or taking the dog out. The light is just not focused for diving purposes. It has a very large beam spread, and the backscatter kicks back into your eyes. It is very bright, but not useful for diving.

If they ever find a way to focus it, well.....

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...productId=47576227&parent_category_rn=4500588

You mean like that? It's got a nifty lens that focuses the wide LED spread into a bona fide beam. Not bad :wink:

FallenMatt once bubbled...
correction, looked up the specs online:

The most safety approved flashlight in the world

5-6 hours burntime, not bad... now, is the replacement lightbulb readilly available? do you know ?

Yes. I know of two large mail order camping stores that carry it in Canada. I would guess that Campmor, REI, Cabella's would carry them in the US. It's actually a bulb / reflector unit. My Dad and I both carry Super Sabre lights as backup lights (or for additional light in crevasses on daylight dives). With the two lights we've had to replace a bulb once. That was a user-error flood, so the reflector came in handy.
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom