backup mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a recreational diver with well over 2000 dives and I take offence at the last comment. I'm not sure I want a techie with less than 500 dives ( as per your profile ) going anywhere near me. I don't want to start a fight here but nuts4corals, maybe you should be a little less judgmental of others who take a different approach to diving then you do.

I use an inexpensive but very nice (in my opinion) Dive Gear Express mask as a backup (when I use a backup): DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask.

Like others here, I don't see a point in bringing a backup mask on dives in which I can directly ascend to the surface at any time. Mustard Dave's scenario about ascending on a particular line from a wreck is something to consider. However, it's not like one could not ascend from an unplanned location, shoot an SMB, and wait for help. I think a lost mask is a reasonable excuse. Of course, having a backup would address that.

However, it's not like one could not ascend from an unplanned location, shoot an SMB, and wait for help.

A few years ago, I dived on the F2 in Scapa Flow in bad fog. The skipper told us that we mustn't. ascend anywhere other than the shot as 1) he won't see our SMB, and 2) we're right next to a shipping channel.

Another issue for some is that many recreational divers do not always carry a DSMB (many cannot even use one). Many of those that do carry one are often not so good at launching it, so doing so without a mask (perhaps because your buddy has not been observant and swam off) is going to be a nightmare.

I use an inexpensive but very nice (in my opinion) Dive Gear Express mask as a backup (when I use a backup): DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask.

Like others here, I don't see a point in bringing a backup mask on dives in which I can directly ascend to the surface at any time. Mustard Dave's scenario about ascending on a particular line from a wreck is something to consider. However, it's not like one could not ascend from an unplanned location, shoot an SMB, and wait for help. I think a lost mask is a reasonable excuse. Of course, having a backup would address that.
That inexpensive DGX mask is my #1 mask when I'm rec diving and the expensive Atomic Frameless is my backup. When I'm working in my FFM, the DGX is my backup. It is a very nice mask.

Lol DRFISH if you actually took the time to read the entire thread you might already know that I am a rec diver just like you and i have found the number of dives a diver has NOTHING to do with the mindset of the diver. most divers that have over 100 dives are fine with the right mindset.

the issue lies in personalities. there are great rec. divers who are actually commited to being safe and actually get in a pool to run through drills b4 jumping in the ocean. but i find alot not all rec divers to be oposite this. sorry if you are offended but i dont care if you have 3000 dives more than me ... it does not say diddly squat how safe you are. if you are careless than you are careless. i find tech divers to be alot more safety minded and always thinking of safety.

But then i saved a DM once who was careless and probably had just as many dives as you but got complacent and didnt bother checking his own gear which almost cost him his life.

At the end of the day, makes no diff. How many dives you have but all the diff. What mindset you have towards safty.

Last edited:
A few years ago, I dived on the F2 in Scapa Flow in bad fog. The skipper told us that we mustn't. ascend anywhere other than the shot as 1) he won't see our SMB, and 2) we're right next to a shipping channel.

I realized long ago that what passes for a recreational dive in the UK is what I would call a big-boy dive here. Even if it's a no-stop dive, it's serious stuff. When I dive Scapa, you can be certain I will have a backup mask and SMB, not to mention a twinset.

I dive with the Oceanic Datamask and I have too much money invested in it to lose it in the water. I have it attached to my BC. It's a pain to unsnap it when I get back on the boat, but worth it to me. For anyone who has an extra dollars invested in the form of prescription lenses it might be worth attaching your mask and then you won't need a backup (unless you break your primary).

I dive with the Oceanic Datamask and I have too much money invested in it to lose it in the water. I have it attached to my BC. It's a pain to unsnap it when I get back on the boat, but worth it to me. For anyone who has an extra dollars invested in the form of prescription lenses it might be worth attaching your mask and then you won't need a backup (unless you break your primary).
Can you show a pic of how you have it attached? I may want to do this for my wife after I get her a prescription mask.

Thanks & Cheers - M²

M², I couldn't find my exact clip online, but I went to DiversDirect and found something called a Quick Release Clip Lanyard for $4.99 that I think would do the job. Mind you, there have been times that the landyard has caught my attention while diving and it's annoying - but I'm willing to live with it. It's also important to be able to quickly detach it once back on the boat. (If I got down to the basement and haul out my gear I'll pm you with a picture of what I use).

I got out my mask to take a picture. It only shows the part that is attached to the mask, but you can see that it has a rubber hose over the stretchy connector so that part doesn't float in front of my face so easily. I also have it attached to the back of my strap for that reason.
img_3037.204225

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom