Bad year for Bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recenlty an owner of a LDS told me he thought this was the worst year for lobsters in 30years. I've caught my share of bugs, but, overall, defiantly not as many keepers as past season.

From reading threads, it seems most of you guys dive on the North Shore (where I do about 50% of my diving), what are you impressions? Was this a good year, average, or horrible?

I wonder if as striper and cod stocks keep rising if lobster numbers will drop (not that it would be the end of the world, as it hard to beat a nice chunk of striper).

Lobster takes were pretty good this year for me. It was my first year diving for lobsters so I don't have anything to compare to, but as far as trapping goes, bushman got way more this year than any other year.

As far as fishing... I got the feeling there wasn't nearly as many bluefish around this year...

Of course all my numbers and comparisons are Cape Cod based...

up for me. I actually got 11 yesterday while diving with the wife at Old Garden.

11 is a pretty solid day's work. Old Garden is great spot, for me seems like this time of year everyother one is an egger though...

Government regulates commercial fisherman (i.e. fewer fishing days and smaller catch) = More commercial guys are lobstering instead of or in addition to fishing (fewer bugs for us). I should say that this theory is based on talking with some commercial guys up in Gloucester. I have found WAY fewer bugs this year. I got 7 the other day and was thrilled. Last year that would have been average.

fishing days but there has been a close in fishing areas that the smaller boats use most. The Gloucester fleet is going to feel this closing the worst.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom