BADGER STATE shipwreck in Algonac, MI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tiny Bubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last weekend I dived (solo - since I couldn't get anybody to go with me) on the BADGER STATE in Algonac, MI. This is an easy dive and it's easy to get to. It's located in the outside of the bend of the North Channel of the St. Clair River in Algonac, across the channel from the North Channel DNR launch ramp. This wreck is well known to the local boating, fishing, and diving communities. GPS: N42°36.380' W82°32.907' . It may be possible to take the ferry to Harsens Island and shore dive this, but I haven't tried.

The BADGER STATE was built in 1862 as a passenger steamer. It was converted to a floating pool hall, and later converted to a lumber boat. It caught fire at the dock in Marine City and was cut loose to drift down the St. Clair River in 1909. Its sister ship, the EMPIRE STATE, is sunk in shallow water at Bullhead Point in Wisconsin.

The wreck sits in 16 feet of water, bow pointing east, listing to port, with the starboard side almost touching the surface. The bow is more or less intact, and has a sharply-pointed shape that is this wrecks most distinctive feature. I didn't see any machinery, but there were some pipes. Photos are on my webpage: http://67.149.142.111/maps/m514443.php#badger

-Ray

Hey Ray,

Glad to hear that you are having fun diving my friend. So tell me... What type of mad bottom time can you get with your doubles setup at 16 feet of depth? :)

Lance

Hey Ray,

A couple more questions. What is the current like at this location? How about boating traffic? I ask because my girlfriend will be open water certified in late October. If the traffic and current aren't too bad then this could make a great first wreck dive for her. Let me know your thoughts.

Lance

Lance, long time, no see.

That is a good question. I don't know exactly, but if I had to guess, probably about 4 hours.

The channel can get busy sometimes, but the only traffic that will get close to the wreck will probably be fishermen. If you take a flag/float you should be alright. When the viz is OK, I think this should be fine for a new diver.

I was just up that way today as I was visiting the North Channel Yacht Club.

Just another reason to leave a boat in the water for another week or so. If you are interested PM me.

Thanks for the info! If you get over to the west side, PM me. We put a marker on the Havana this year but it probably won't survive the ice.

Back
Top Bottom