Bag Suggestions for sp-350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H&E

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I've recently become the proud parent of an Oly sp350 camera and pt-030 housing. :D

I'm currently in the market to find them a home in the form of some sort of bag-like device. I'm probably looking for 2 bags, a more compact one for just toting the camera on terrestrial travels and perhaps a second that's large enough for the camera within the housing. I haven't been impressed with anything at the stores around my place and I was just wondering if any of you found a bag that fits the camera well and offers good protection and portability for the price. I don't see myself carrying a ton of accessories besides a spare crv3 battery or two and an extra memory card in the land bag. I'd probably have a spare o-ring, grease, and possibly a card reader or battery charger in the other bag/case for the housing.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-sam

H&E:
Hi folks!

I've recently become the proud parent of an Oly sp350 camera and pt-030 housing. :D

I'm currently in the market to find them a home in the form of some sort of bag-like device. I'm probably looking for 2 bags, a more compact one for just toting the camera on terrestrial travels and perhaps a second that's large enough for the camera within the housing. I haven't been impressed with anything at the stores around my place and I was just wondering if any of you found a bag that fits the camera well and offers good protection and portability for the price. I don't see myself carrying a ton of accessories besides a spare crv3 battery or two and an extra memory card in the land bag. I'd probably have a spare o-ring, grease, and possibly a card reader or battery charger in the other bag/case for the housing.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-sam

I have the same setup
Head down to the nearest photoshop and take your gear. Try different cases out until you find one you like. I have a soft bag I picked up for $24. It works for both my sp350 and my SLR but not at the same time.

Scooter

I have a Lowepro bag for mine. Model Z5. It fits the camera nicely even with the Olympus strap. Small velcro pocket on the front for 2-3 batteries etc.

I read on SB somewhere else that others were using softsided cooler bags. I bought one that is perfect for my camera and Ike housing and just wrap the camera in a nice thick towel which always use anyway so far works great. Not yet sure what I will do on the airplane but probably will just replace the towel with some foam and put the bag inside my already heavyduty luggage.

Crawl79:
I read on SB somewhere else that others were using softsided cooler bags. I bought one that is perfect for my camera and Ike housing and just wrap the camera in a nice thick towel which always use anyway so far works great. Not yet sure what I will do on the airplane but probably will just replace the towel with some foam and put the bag inside my already heavyduty luggage.

Yes, get a cooler! It makes a great soak tank for your camera in your hotel room and is a great way to protect your precious toy on the dive boat. :wink:

I bought softsided insulated lunch bags for transporting my camera and housing on diveboats. You might also consider the hardsided Pelican cases, but they weigh a lot and take up lots of space. I have a couple of smaller LowePro shoulder bags for cameras, my iPod, my battery charger and spare batteries, al the wires and other stuff for computer connectivity.

Most camera shops and outdoor stores have all sorts of closeable bags and pouches for small electronics.

Here's the LowePro website:

http://www.lowepro.com/?pf=1

Here's Eddie Bauer's lunch bag catalog entry:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/Search/co...&lp=h4&s=s&cm_se=lunch+bags_All&referringurl=

Following are 2 spots at REI.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...97&parent_category_rn=5760739&vcat=REI_SEARCH

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...86&parent_category_rn=5760739&vcat=REI_SEARCH

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

I like the soft cooler bag idea...in fact I might even have one of those lying around somewhere just waiting to be useful. For those of you that do that, though, do you usually just bring a separate bag for accessories/batteries?

I notice that most small camera bags have zippered entries into the camera chamber. Since the sp350 has an exposed screen, I feel like the zipper teeth may be damaging over time. Am I worrying needlessly? Maybe a flap w/ buckle closure would be "safer?"

Yes I use small separate bags, usually Zip Lock sandwich bags. I'll even bag the camera within the cooler bag.

The zippers are plastic. They won't hurt the camera.

I keep some premoistened glasses cleaning wipes in my bag to cleanup fingerprints or nose prints. Be sure to blow off any abrasive dust, sand or grit particles before wiping any optical surface.

I bought a small camera cover at Walmart for $0.99 just big enough for the camera, don't have one for the housing. I usually carry that camera in my purse just in case I need on quickly for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom