Bahamas livaboard will I need to book Stuart Coves after?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi I am off to the Bahamas in October 18. 7 nights on a live aboard. Will I be totally sharked out or should I book Stuart Coves diving adventure after?

For some people a week on a liveaboard is more than enough diving. For others, they're just getting started.

No one knows your limits but you.

As far as what you're going to see during that week on the livaboard- you never know.

I don't dive nearly as often as I would like and I recently (last October) did a week on a LOB out of Nassau (the Aquacat). I flew down a couple days early and dove with Stuart Cove for a 2 tank afternoon dive to knock a little of the rust off prior to doing the LOB. If you are planning on diving with Stuart Cove, the advantage of doing it prior to the LOB is that it forces you to travel a few days earlier and then if the airline sends your luggage to Nashville instead of Nassau, you have a built in buffer for them to find and return your luggage before you get on the LOB.

Depending on which LOB you are doing, you will likely get between 19 and 25 dives in during the week (some don't do night dives). You will probably see sharks on a couple days, but you will probably not be "totally sharked out". On my last trip, we saw reef sharks at the Austin Smith Wreck and at Split Coral Head, and a few random nurse sharks, but that was pretty much it. Keep in mind though that this is the ocean, not an aquarium and YMMV.

What boat/itinerary?

Some trips are sharkier than others. Likely the sharkiest is the Aggressor Tiger Beach trips out of Grand Bahama but I'm guessing you're sailing from Nassau?

Cove's does the daily feed so it's obviously sharky. One thing not everyone knows is there's other sites - often wrecks nearby where the sharks hang out at other times. So you may see sharks exhibiting more natural behavior at those sites during non-feed time,

They used to have a list of sites where sharks are seen on their previous website but it's not there now so call and ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom