bahamas live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackcloud

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am doing a live aboard on the Aquacat in early December and I was wondering what thickness wetsuit is recommended.

...I'm thinking Aquacat should be able to provide you the expected water temps at that time....thermal protection is so very diver specific/personal so I'm not sure anyone else can tell 'you' what 'you' should wear, other than to say it's better to overdo it than underdo it as most divers tend to underestimate their thermal requirements, especially on a high intensity (liveaboard) dive trip.

I'm headed to the Bahamas next week and just picked up a 3mm jumpsuit. Here, in the Northeast, I've only ever dived either a 7mm or a drysuit. I was considering a shorty, but one of the ops I'll be diving with requires that arms and legs be covered for a shark dive. You should be able to pick up a nice suit for under a hundred.

please post your thoughts. I have been wanting to go and take my non diving wife. I would like to know about what activities there are other than diving so that she will have an interest in going. Thanks.

this will be my first live aboard the aquacat is saying a seven mil suit for that time of year I was hoping to go lighter. As for other things to do for non divers they say they have kayaks for exploring fishing and tours of the islands. My wife is also a non diver and I was thinking about taking her but others in the group that have done this before said she would not have a very good time. But I will let you know after my trip it leaves Dec.5

The thing about live aboards is that you could be doing five dives a day for four days in a row, plus two or three more on your last day. The cold will be much more noticeable than doing just a couple of dives in similar temperatures.

Just my two cents: two years ago I did a Bahamas live-aboard in January. Took my 3mil with me and found it was fine for the most part but after several days I was a bit chilled. (Dove with 3mm hood, too.). Then I tried a 7/5mm semi-dry and it was mostly TOO WARM.....perfect world: bring your 3mm full suit plus a 5/3mm hooded vest to wear under it when you get chilled later in the week. other divers on my boat had that configuration and it seemed best of all worlds.

Have fun!!

If you are buying a new suit you could try one of the 5-4 or 5-4-3 suits. I'm headed down that way in January and I'm taking a 5-4 to use on a liveaboard for a week.

Just curious how your trip went....I am going in February of 2010.

The Aquacat is a great boat, we have chartered it several times, and the company and the crew are first class. We'd recommend it highly for diving in the Bahamas.

Back
Top Bottom