Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Blawler,
GrandBahama was hit hard-Hit bad,Freeport hotel area is mostly closed,The RoayalOasis,or Bahamia-i.e. the Old Princess sits closed fenced off! Xanadu Hotel burned,Towers section,this was not from storms,so not sure if The Dive shop is still on site. "Pier 1" the place to eat and feed the sharks gone! blown away!Arnie plans to rebuild-we will see! We aleays had a blast with Caribean Divers a fun operation!Unlike others that just are cattle boats,and Cruise ship guest's can be avoided just ask the shops owners for times!And We always got deep dives in with them.
PortLucaya is open and doing real well! But way too busy now for me, we try to stay way out mid Island By Bishops or West End is re-open and has more relaxed vacation stays.

Earl2112:
Hello Mike,

I have been diving around the Freeport area for several years. I really love to dive the tunnels and canyons in the coral reefs. So I would recommend the dive sites of Gails Grotto, Pigmy Caves and Tunnels. If you're into wreck diving, Theo's is the best. Sea Star, or Duncan's as some call it, had major changes due to the hurricanes this past season. It was a freighter that sat upright in the water. Now it is more of a scrap yard. The bow stills sits upright, but has been squashed down and the rest of the ship is twisted and broken into pieces. I dove this site many time before the hurricanes. After the storms, I just did not recognize it. Of all the dive sites, I like Shark Junction the most. I think sharks are the most graceful creatures on the planet. It just amazes me to see them so close. I have been as close as 2 feet, nose to nose with a 6 foot female reef shark. She came out of the blue and headed straight for me and turned away at the last minute.

For operators, I would highly recommend Grand Bahama Scuba. I have been diving with Fred and his staff for several years. Check out their website at WWW.GRANDBAHAMASCUBA.COM for info about prices and packages.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Earl

I will be heading with the family to GB April 17th. Staying at the Westin Lucaya. Thanks for the tip on the dive operator - I am a total newbie, going to be doing my OW cert dives there. Anything else you care to share about diving GB would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Nardulli:
I will be heading with the family to GB April 17th. Staying at the Westin Lucaya. Thanks for the tip on the dive operator - I am a total newbie, going to be doing my OW cert dives there. Anything else you care to share about diving GB would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Jim
Good luck on your cert,
You and your family will love Our Lucaya=Westin Resort!
Get over for lunch some day to "Billy Joes"=He is on the beach west/or "right" on the edge of the resort grounds,he cooks a mean burger! Fresh fish,or try a conch salad=MMMMMM! He's been cooking from the back of a old broken down car to now a great stand,get to him early-otherwise you will have to wait,food is good.The Beer Kalik is a $1.00 less than the resort.
Brad
PS you will love the dives!

hey jim, i live and work on grand bahama as a scuba instructor, pm me if you would like any real time info on diving gb or anything else.
have a great trip.

divepirate:
hey jim, i live and work on grand bahama as a scuba instructor, pm me if you would like any real time info on diving gb or anything else.
have a great trip.

The last post was over a year ago!! I hope he already went on his trip, and is ready for his next one!! :wink:

Tavi:
The last post was over a year ago!! I hope he already went on his trip, and is ready for his next one!! :wink:

Geez TAVI....what did you say to Mike J when you welcomed him to the board????

He's never been back...:1poke:

PaulChristenson:
Geez TAVI....what did you say to Mike J when you welcomed him to the board????

He's never been back...:1poke:

Maybe he liked the Bahamas so well that he stayed there. Too busy diving to check the boards.

I doubt it, but one can only hope!!

Tavi:
Maybe he liked the Bahamas so well that he stayed there. Too busy diving to check the boards.

I doubt it, but one can only hope!!

Well I'll look him up when I'm down there in a couple of days or so....:D

Back
Top Bottom