Bail out options for Dolphin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: ... sorry ... but it does add up, doesn't it.

My Sport Kiss came with the stainless steel counterlung housing.
Two Apeks regs, quite heavy each. Hose weights.
Great, I thought, and bolted a like backplate to it.
With 3 ltr tanks and full scrubber, it weights in at 63 lbs ... :11: ... without RBS!

Indeed, I need much less lead than on the PRISM (47 1/2 lbs ready to dive),
but it's a pain in the back to haul around on land.

Great in the water, though, fairly wide but very low profile.
Swimming against a current uw is easier than any other rig I tried.
The rEvo should be about the same, tad higher due the CL case between the diver
and the scrubber, but not by much as it is longer, as well as slimmer.

It's a trade off. If you add a metal frame/backplack plate adapter like the one
from Ron Micjan (TMI Shop) or
Enrique Alvarez (Diving Equipment Specialties) - expensive, but my fave, his work is downright beautiful)
you get better weight distribution, take weight of the plastic Dräger box and have
the choice of bp/w or soft harness/wing.

That also helps, as most "normal" BCDs have quite a bit of inherent buoyancy.
Tried it on OC, the Zeagle Ranger actually weights more than a DiveRite steel plate,
Oxycheq 45 lbs donut wing and simple harness with 4 D-rings, but the bp setup has
considerably less buoyancy.

Something to think about.

And now you know why we like two 2ltr or 3 ltr tanks instead of that 27 cf one for
gas supply, and still get more time on CCRs. :wink:

Ha, I didnt want to say anything last night, after working on the dam thing for 3 hours, but I was ready to throw it out the window last night, lmaooo

I didnt know the Sport Kiss weighed in that much. I thought they were 32 lbs , but that would make sense, after adding in the tanks, and B/P etc.

I think a Evo come in at around 40 somthing, and the Insperation at 52 ???

But 80 dam lbs, I could use the stinking thing for a boat anchor , lol

I dove it today, and there was another person from N/C diving one here in FL, so it was kinda cool seeing two of them on the boat.

He was running 22lbs of weight added, with a steel 63 HP tank, seemed like alot for the size tank he was running

I weighed in at around 22lbs, but that was with the alum 27cf tank, and around 20 with the Drager steel tank, I have to check my log to see exactley.

Its still alittle heavy, I have to wear to the boat to lug it around, as its to heavy to grab by the strapes.

I'm seriousley considering going to a Sport Kiss.

I'm not sure if a M/C rebreather is the way to go for taking pics UW, my DSLR camera set up is alot of task loading just carrying that UW, and I'm not sure how much more it would be to manuallley fly a RB.

Did you write a thread on your Sport kiss, Id love to hear the pros and cons of it.

Thanks for your help

FLTek,
To streamline your dolphin I would suggest you put an armadillo/Nomad butt plate, to your harness, if you have not changed out the stock dolphin harness yet to a BP/W I would do that first. Then sling your 40, tucked up close, that will get rid of both of your 13s and streamline you some.
RBs are heavy, I initially told myself it was lighter, but by the time I hit the water its quite a bit heavier, regardless of rig. This is partially due to having a significant bailout, and extra gear to account for the longer bottom times. I use jet fins to move the mass in the water which are heavy. I did a OC dive with my light weight fins and felt like I had nothing on and no power to kick, but was fine. Also have you switched to alum 27s yet? That helps as well.
Good Luck.

Hey Scubanimal, Thanks for the reply. I belive we have talked in the past.

I sold the Dolphin since the thread started, and went to a Sport Kiss CCR .

I was using the Alum 27's, but the rig was very heavy.

Using 26lbs also to get it down was alot of weight.

I see your on a Inso, nice unit. One day I hope to get that or a EVO. I like them all, lol

If it was up to me, I'd have all of them , Ha

Happy New Year, and thanks for your reply

Back
Top Bottom